Raven meals - CHEAP!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Raven foods give a shelf life of three years, I think that is a bit mean, as there is nothing to go wrong with the food; it was packed in a nitrogen atmosphere, has less than 2% moisture.
Kept cool and at a stable temperature, most dehydrated foods last 7 to 15 years, without going “bad”. They might be flavourless, and of little nutritional value, but I doubt that they will do you any harm.

If the shelf life of Raven dehydrated food is judged on the same basis as that of MRS, the shelf life is determined by solely the taste of the food and not the nutrition of the food after prolonged storage

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hoping that I can pick whatever if I like if I go to the store! I've just been on the website and they seem to have some pretty nifty other bits and bobs as well.

I am sure they will keep fine enough.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I know they're probably alright to munch on in a few months, but the description does say guaranteed for 4 months, november 2007 isn't 4 months. I've sent them a message and will post their reply.

Still freeze dried food should last a good while or rat packs wouldn't have a shelf life of 10 years!.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Just had a mesage back from them abotu the date on the rations and it reads thus:

"Dear gunwitchuk,
s.gif
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]hi, because they are deyhadrated and frozen with nitrogen the are suitable for consumption months after our selling date. we have just sold thousands to an atlantic crossing rowing team and they agree that they will not go off.
[/FONT]
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
- bushcraftbargains"

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Thanks for the heads up Bikething!

Just ordered 20 assorted.

Buuuurrrrrrppppp!

By the way - P&P for 20 meals was only £3.00, not £4.50 as per the item description........wait for their invoice before you pay!

ganstey

Settler
Mine arrived yesterday, and I had a sweet & sour chicken for lunch.

It can best be described as a posh Pot Rice. It was perfectly OK, but nothing special. In fact I found it a little bland, and it would benefit from a tasty sauce of your choice being added. The only problem I had was working out how much water to add. The pack has a scale on the side which is supposed to indicate the fill level, but I couldn't work it out:dunno: Anyway, it seems I added too much as it was more like soup :confused: I also found it quite salty, but then again, I don't like salt on my food.

Still, for the price, I'm not complaining.
G

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Yes, i'm struggling with the water thing - not all of them tell you which mark to use, and even
measuring the amount of boiling water with a jug usually results in things being a bit 'wet' - especially the hot cereal
breakfast - oat soup anyone??.or maybe i'm not waiting long enough :dunno:

Still, a few more practice runs and i'll add water by eye instead.... best get some more in to practice with :D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I picked up 30 the other day for me and two mates. They're all mains and desserts - they had no breakfasts - not too fussed, I'd prefer the mains anyway. Haven't tried them yet...

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
No strikes now, but there is a HUGE backlog, im still waiting on 7 other parcels :(

As for the meals, they do seem like pot noodles tyoe meals, but for the price, im not complaining. Also, since they list all the ingredients on the back, i can check that there ok for my girlfriend as well, as she's very allergic to tomatoes, so no Rat packs for her :yuck:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Just had a brekkie, kinda sloppy, the water filler needs more clrification as has been said.

Wait a few hours to see if the runs start :umbrella: :1244:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE