Raven meals - CHEAP!!!

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
I've bought quite a few of these meals in the past and they are more 'survival food' than 'gourmet'. They are OK if you want all your food in a kind of mush/gruel. This works well for rice pudding, oatmeal etc. You know what I mean. But if u are promoting these as 'gourmet backpacking treats' you are well overshooting the mark! This mush/gruel is lacking the texture and taste it promotes. They are very handy for an easy meal, but.........make sure you have lots of condiments.The liquid measure on the back is absolutely unreliable and you would be better just looking and guessing! I'm not saying thatthere is no place for them........just not in my ruck.
, I'll take the weight hit and use lookwhatwefound.
If you are looking to enjoy food when you are out and about...see my recommendations above:D

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Decided to sample these before committing them to my pack on my next excursion - not bad I think.

They ain't gonna win any michelin stars but as a quick and easy meal I don't suppose you can ask for much more.

Glad I bought them but I won't be living on them for any great length of time (I hope!)

Dr O

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
So is there a general consensus on where on the 1-10 scale is optimum for water?

I agree with the others - the water scale is pants! You have to look really carefully to see the recommended level, which is where the pale blue stops and the lighter blue begins! Why couldn't they have gone for a simple "fill to here" line????

That said, I tried one of the chinese sweet & sours for lunch yesterday and it was pretty good. I just kept adding water slowly and stirring until I got the consistency I wanted (cooked in a small pan, not in the pouch).

I think the trick is to be cautious with the water and add it a bit at a time 'til you get what you want.

When all's said and done though, I still reckon they're bloomin' good value for money at the price.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
The saga of the fill line part 626!

Having now read the INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BACK OF A PACK, it tell us how much water to put in! Dohhh!!!

For example - Spaghetti Bolognese......

"Add 200ml of water up to Mark 1" etc, etc, etc.....

.....at least I'm not the only one who didn't bother to read the INSTRUCTIONS!

:banghead:

ganstey

Settler
The saga of the fill line part 626!

Having now read the INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BACK OF A PACK, it tell us how much water to put in! Dohhh!!!

For example - Spaghetti Bolognese......

"Add 200ml of water up to Mark 1" etc, etc, etc.....

.....at least I'm not the only one who didn't bother to read the INSTRUCTIONS!

:banghead:

I read the instructions, including the bit right at the bottom of the packet advising opening out the bottom of the pack to make it more stable. However, all it said was add 300ml of boiling water. I tried to guess what half a pint plus a bit was, and got it wrong. Surely they can't expect their intended audience to have a measuring jug handy :confused:

I only found the fill gauge after I'd finished eating the contents, and was folding up the pack ready for disposal. Under the gauge it said fill to the indicated level, but there was no indication of where that level was. Maybe that's why they're being sold cheap :rolleyes:

G

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I read the instructions, including the bit right at the bottom of the packet advising opening out the bottom of the pack to make it more stable. However, all it said was add 300ml of boiling water. I tried to guess what half a pint plus a bit was, and got it wrong. Surely they can't expect their intended audience to have a measuring jug handy :confused:

I only found the fill gauge after I'd finished eating the contents, and was folding up the pack ready for disposal. Under the gauge it said fill to the indicated level, but there was no indication of where that level was. Maybe that's why they're being sold cheap :rolleyes:

G
not all (as in only 2 of the ones i got) mentioned the fill mark. I tried using a measuring jug and it still seems to be way too much water !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE