Rattan in 4-foot lengths: UK source?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
I fancy making myself a walking staff from rattan. I'd like to buy a four- to six foot length of rattan about 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" in diameter.

Does anyone know of a source? I've Googled in vain.

maximus otter

PS: It must be rattan. I know of the qualities of other woods, but I want to use rattan!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Maximus

Sorry I can't help with a source of new rattan - but I have successfully salvaged some before from an old rattan sofa that gave me enough for a couple of sticks.(Could actually have made 4 or 5 if I had wanted to and the stuff that went around the back was about 9ft long!) Got the sofa from a skip and dismantled it. Rattan can be bent/straightened by applying heat (I used a paint stripping gun) If you keep an eye out you might find something useable in a charity shop, skip or somesuch.

Hope this helps

George

George

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
You could try here, no web site but they seem to be the only material supplier I could find.From their info they are a bamboo and rattan importer.
Jacobs Young & Westbury
Haywards Heath RH16 1UA West Sussex [United Kingdom]
Other than that you could try and phone round some uphosterers or furniture restorers.

Good luck with the search

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE