Ratios

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
While perusing my cookbooks, I realised one book I had might interest this group. It's called 'Ratios' and shows how a lot of things you can cook can be broken down into the simple ratios of ingredients. This is especially true for baked goods and batters, but could apply to other things too. Might be handy to know when you're out and about and want to make something without taking scales or measuring equipment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ratio-Simple-Behind-Everyday-Cooking/dp/1416571728

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find it helpful also to translate all recipes to volumes. Knowing its 170g of flour is hopeless without scales - but 200ml is easy if you have a measuring jug or marked mug

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I was just gonna say this is how my gran showed my maw and my maw showed me, everything was measured in tablespoons heaped or level and pinches of this or that and she was always bang on in regard to making it right for the right amount of eaters, i never even seen a kitchen scale until i got my own place, first thing i done was weighed a heaped and a level tablespoon of various stuff and then went back to using sponsworths as i was not happy with the extra washing up created to use the scales for everything, trebled the work

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE