Rather large mackeral...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Went fishing out of Looe on Sunday and did somewhat better than all the fellas on board :D (Dont gloat janie.....:eek: )

Anyways, amongst my catch was this beastly mackeral who weighed in at just over 2lbs and was 19 inches in length. Blackadder (the skipper) says its the largest mackeral landed on his boat although the biggest he has ever heard of was 29 inches in length!!!

fishin032gc3.jpg

Oh, and he tasted just fine.......:rolleyes:

fishin035mz1.jpg

That was the last trip of the year and what a fab ending!!

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Nice one Jannie

I Love fish but must be the worlds worst fisherman I'm really envious.

If someone would do an idiots guide to fishing or even better a weekend I will be first to sign up.

Hope you enjoyed your meal.

Pothunter.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'm the same as yourself Pothunter, love to eat fish but rubbish at catching them, although I did pretty well off a jetty in Mallorca this year - for once! Nice catch Janie, I want Mackeral now :lmao:

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I only go out with a friend on his boat, it only costs a tenner and i have never come back empty handed (last trip I caught 48!!!)

If youre ever in Cornwall between easter & oct give me a shout and i'll pm you his number. He often gets people down for the day or a weekend specifically to take a haul home for the freezer - one guy on the boat this weekend was a chef all the way from Sussex!!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Beauty Janie. A lovely fish.

I was down at Porthcurno (directly underneath the Minack theatre off the rocks) a few weeks ago and caught 7 Garfish on the float with mackeral strip bait, pollock and mackeral on a spinner. Had an excellent bit of sport with the Gars on light tackle. Pothunter I'd be glad to do a weekends tuition if enough people were interested.:)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yes thanks I had a lovely time and the weather was great. Went to the Seal sanctuary and an old tin mine while I was waiting for the tides and fished most days.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Mmmm.. Mackeral with baked/microwaved with Branston pickel in the cavity. Now you're talking!!

Oh yes, Barrow in Furness is also great for sea fishing - last time I came back with a bin bag full!

Chris

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
nice catch there mate,ive been a professional fishmonger for 20 years and havent seen a mackerel like that since 1990!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hi Falling Rain

Thats a great offer when and where did you have in mind? I'll bring the BBQ.

Pothunter.

Well I'm away to Scotland in November and am fairly busy up until Christmas with various stuff (only 10 weeks to go now or so :eek: ) To be honest it'd be best to leave it till March at the earliest but April or even better May. The Mackeral will have all but disappeared during the winter and will arrive back in April (March at the absolute earliest) Just after the Garfish (which are also known as 'Mackeral Scout' in some parts for that reason). Early Spring is notorious for being not the best time of year to fish, but dosn't mean you won't catch anything. Plaice will be show early if the winter hasn't been too bad. Whiting and Cod are winter staples for the shore fisherman which are both delicious of course. I'd imagine anyone who wasn't seriously into fishing IE beachcasting or boat wreck fishing would want to make do with a small float or spinning set-up which as it happens is ideal for most of the early summer visitors. (there's not really much to be caught on the float or spinning after Christmas time in the colder months) As mentioned Garfish, Bass, Mackeral, Wrasse, Pollock will all be back in late spring and that would be best species of fish to show you how to target so shall we arrange something for then?
The winter fishing from shore is really more for serious beachcasting and heavier set-ups. Fishing from the rocks can be very dangerous especially in winter. Estuary fishing for flounder can still be fun though.
I can arrange another boat trip after Christmas if enough people are interested, maybe out of Weymouth?

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I may be interested in that FR, can you keep me updated please :D

Would a garfish be the long thin fish that chases a mackeral on a line? If so are they good eating?

cheers

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
There's a picture here of a chap with a Garfish Janiepopps http://www.whitewatercharters.co.uk/images/fish/dave-lewis-garfish-l.jpg The ones I caught down your way from the rocks were a similar size :)
They do like mackeral strip for bait (thin strip of the white belly of the mackeral is best) and can chase mackeral as you're pulling the mackeral in.
They're sometimes known as Mackeral scout as they arrive ahead of the mackeral in the spring but this name has all but died out now.
Yes they're very good eating but they can give off a strange smell after being caught (which I don't know what the reason for is. Some kind of defence maybe) Also the flesh along the backbone can look greeny brown and not very appetising but this flesh turns white after cooking. The bones are also an almost fluroescent green and stay green after cooking. All these things sometimes put people off eating them but I can assure you they are quite safe and very nice to eat. Don't be put off by the smell (they don't always give it off) and look of the flesh on the backbone. The silver colour of the skin is startlingly silver.
They are great fun to catch on light tackle and put up a fair fight and often 'tail walk' across the top of the water after being hooked. Also they can thrash about if you're hauling them up rocks and throw the hook and get away. Floatfishing mackeral strip as described is best for these fish and set the hook just a couple of feet down as they're surface feeders. Don't strike straight away as soon as the float dissapears. Allow the bite to develop. That is wait a few seconds after the float goes under before you strike. This will give you a better chance of setting the hook. They've got very hard bony mouths and yes the beak is sharp and hurts if you stab yourself with it. Use forceps or pliers to remove the hook.
Hope that helps.
Yes I'll keep you updated Janie. I wasn't happy to have missed the last one and don't need much of an excuse to go fishing. :) I'll have a think and suggest something after Chrimbo :)

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Falling Rain

5orry to take so long to respond, busy weekend. I have been considering a spinning rod as they appear to be relatively compact and quite adaptable to varying conditions and styles of fishing. Bass, Mackerel and Pollock are fish I have eaten and enjoyed and look forward to having the opportunity to try Garfish and Wrasse.

May sounds good as I have a number of trips planned between now and April. My preference is to learn to fish from the beach but would also enjoy a day afloat.

I look forward to speaking to you nearer the time to arrange a date.

Pothunter.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
No worries Pothunter.

If you like (and anyone else who's interested) we can do some beach or rock fishing on the Saturday and go out on a boat on the Sunday. Skippers usually have rods to hire so you won't need to get a boat rod specially. Just bring some weights and hooks. We can go over the details nearer the time. :)

ganstey

Settler
I'd be really interested in doing some fishing spring next year. I played with fishing a bit when I was little, but don't ever remember catching anything. When I was in Sweden a few years ago we went out on a converted trawler for the day. On the way back we did some line fishing for mackerel, and I caught 8 in about 10 minutes. Fried in butter and shared amongst the group that evening they were the best fish I've ever had.

I'd like to learn how to prepare (gut) fish as well if anyone is willing to show me.

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE