Ranger job?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, I cant be bothered finding statistics for this, but when you look at the USA, there's less than a £2k difference in the average individual salary.
[Last time i looked anyway] About £26k ish.
But to afford a home the size of the average americans, or all the 'toys' at the prices you enjoy them at over there, without VAT, someone in the UK would probably have to be earning in the region of the top 10% of earners in the UK.

Actually there's a very, very large variance over here. But likewise there's an equally large variance in the cost of living (including homes) from one part of the country to another. Now that I'm no longer working (but drawing two separate retirements) I'm only making in the neighborhood of $27,000 (16,923.6 pounds) per year before taxes. Even once I turn 65 in another 8 years and begin drawing Social Security (OAP to ya'll) I still won't be above what would be poverty level up north or on the West coast. But it's more than good here along the Gulf.

The average national wage (and corresponding cost of living) is over $29 per hour (or $40, 040 per year) before taxes. It's more than doubles that up north and a bit more than three fourths that here. I'd say that's quite a variance.

No we don't have VAT but we do have sales tax. And it also varies wildy from location to location. Only 6% here in the panhandle (with groceries excluded from taxation) to more than 12% in the Keys (and that's just the variance within the state)

But TBH, all other factors aside, the size of our respective populations relative to the available real estate makes comparing home prices impossible to do objectively.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There seem to be endless amounts of repossessed properties like this one all over florida. This one is on the market for about £35k:

KB4GQ3C7MVDEY6CTJFTVS3SBOZEWGRKFMFFFK3TCOBLXAZCFMN5EKMDHNIZXO4TBORCES.jpg

The UK equivalent of something like that would easily cost you in excess of £500,000 +

Probably Fifteen or Twenty times more over here Santaman. No Joke. And yet the national average Salary in the UK [2007] was £23,764 PA, yet the National Average Sal in the USA [2007] was £22,578.29 PA so hardly any difference.

[Sal being a median figure, where 50% of employees earn more and 50% earn less]

As much as i love living in West Yorkshire,:rolleyes: I think i may prefer to live in florida.

fort-myers-beach-picture.jpg

Point im making if I was younger with the right qualifications, Id be out of this country faster than you could say abracadabra

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Florida draws a lot of retirees simply for the lower cost of living than up north. Because of the high ratio of retirees and honeymooners/tourists to the native Floridians, it's sometimes referred to as "the land of the newly wed and the nearly dead."

And yes, at the moment there's quite a few repossessed or otherwise distressed properties available due to the bubble burst in 2007/08. Fairly low interest rates on mortgages also (still 2% - 3% on 30 year loans)

But for a Brit looking for a warmer climate while staying in the Commonwealth, you might look into the British Virgin Islands if you're serious.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Florida draws a lot of retirees simply for the lower cost of living than up north. Because of the high ratio of retirees and honeymooners/tourists to the native Floridians, it's sometimes referred to as "the land of the newly wed and the nearly dead."

Like everywhere im sure it'll have its rough spots, but Looks to me like you inhabit a beautiful part of the world

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like everywhere im sure it'll have its rough spots, but Looks to me like you inhabit a beautiful part of the world

Oh I quite like it here. And to be honest there's not much problems here in the panhandle. The main one would be the increased traffic and crowds near the beach during tourist season; and I tend to simply avoid them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE