Ranger job?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
That looks like a great opportunity for someone, if I had the qualifications they're looking for I'd be applying myself :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A great experience no doubt but check out the financial package, pay is pro-rata and you have to pay toward your lodgings so at £15k a year it may in your pocket work out at less than minimum wage. That said, if you can afford this then go for it as overall it looks a great thing to have on your CV.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
That sort of pay makes my blood boil! Saying that when I started out it was the same then! Ideal for fresh graduate looking for some experience but that's about it.

Orric

Im only on a couple of quid less , I have to pay watta rates , travelling , full rent n tax . If it wasn't for love an not being a natural science grad.....I could live with them wages.

Run Silent-Run Deep now Free

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Agree with the comments about wages.
In ten years, 97-2007, food prices doubled, gas tripled, house prices tripled, council tax doubled, and the median UK salary rose by about £6k.....Absolutely insane. :rant:

And those staples we all pay for arent coming back down
:soapbox:
We need to see some serious wage inflation in this country. It really boils my blood. Two thirds earn less than average wage.
Most peoples wages should be doubled overnight. Truly.

£15k per year? :tapedshut

I really dont know how people can survive on that when the average monthly UK rent is now in excess of £750 pcm.

Although sounds like a nice way to spend your 9-5.......:) Just pay someone an actual living wage for doing it!!!!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....We need to see some serious wage inflation in this country. It really boils my blood. Two thirds earn less than average wage.....

LOL. That's statistically impossible. If two thirds of the people are earning a set amount then said amount is the average wage. Whether said wage is adequate is a whole different argument.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
LOL. That's statistically impossible. If two thirds of the people are earning a set amount then said amount is the average wage. Whether said wage is adequate is a whole different argument.

No. An average can be skewed by a small handful of very high earners.
It all depends on if you mean, mode, median or mean.

E.g

Say in a sample of 9 people, 2/3rds of people have 10 apples each . And the remaining third have a hundred apples each. Then the average is

(10 * 6 + 3*100)/9
=40 apples on average.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds a bit quirky doesnt it. :) But No. Its not Santaman.

I am. It might not be the "mean" (one form of average) which I suspect is what you meant; but it's certainly the "mode" (the form that's most relevant in such a context.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No. An average can be skewed by a small handful of very high earners.
It all depends on if you mean, mode, median or mean.

E.g

Say in a sample of 9 people, 2/3rds of people have 10 apples each . And the remaining third have a hundred apples each. Then the average is

(10 * 6 + 3*100)/9
=40 apples on average.

Yep the "mean" can be skewed; but not the "mode." It remains at 10 apples.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But your examples do illustrate a level of unfairness. Unless there's a valid reason why some earn more than others. I'm not convinced corporate CEOs earn their exorbitant salaries; but I am convinced I'd certainly pay more for a qualified heart surgeon than I would for a seamstress.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, I cant be bothered finding statistics for this, but when you look at the USA, there's less than a £2k difference in the average individual salary.
[Last time i looked anyway] About £26k ish.

Bit misleading but to afford a home the size of the average americans, or all the 'toys' at the prices the average earner enjoys them at over there, without VAT, you'd probably have to be in the region of the top 5%-10% of earners in the UK.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE