Random shots from this weeks trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I went for a bird watching trip / course with my wilderness guide student group this weeks monday and came back yesterday.We were at town named Pori in our western coastal area.I am not so much into bird spotting but in hunting aspect a little,as i like to know the variety of edibles :lmao:

i didint take my dslr camera with me so my pics are what they are and theres none of birds as my cam´s zoom etc are poor for flying objects,but heres still some pics.

I spent my nights in my oddball tent,and cooked my food during dayhikes at beaches,with cooker,and enjoyed the fresh sea-winds and sun.It sure wasnt any hc-bushcraft trip i know but i tried my best to take all from it as much as i could,as only me and my buddy,were only ones to sleep in the bush while others were in the nearby old school where thy had showers and stuff.

At one point i found an old ice fishers sled covered by dirtd and moss,and just had to go thru the remains and it paid off in a small way,as i found an old hookbill..or do you say...billhook(?),with rotten handles taht i just shaked off and in few days ill try to remove all the rust and make a handle to it.

other findings were pretty much rare seal skeleton in pieces,that i buried but i kept the one jaw piece as a souvenir.

lint2010027.jpg

lint2010212.jpg

poripaatti.jpg

vesuriwanhus.jpg

lokkiparka.jpg

rantaa2.jpg

leuka.jpg

lint2010006.jpg

tulipaikka.jpg

MrTawastBongaa.jpg

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Looks like you had a good time.
Really nice photoes. Looks like a great place for a paddle.
Your oddball tent looks very nice. Simple solutions often works best.
I`m also looking forward to see pics of the restored billhook in the future.

Tor

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
Cool photos, thanks for showing us, and well done on finding that billhook, it looks like it still has some life left in it.

regards,
Rob

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
cracking pics laaaa, love the little tent is the foil inner for keeping it warm or cool or does it have both effects? im guessing it reflects heat back in ?

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Looks like a good place to explore, thanks for showing.

Let us know how the hookbill/billhook project goes:)

seems like it does:

vesuriputsattunajaternsuuhiottuna.jpg

I removed the loose rust,cleaned it,ground the edge coarse and clean.

vesurivalmiina.jpg

Then i did the heat treatment all over again,annealed etc,and sharpened it with wetstone,and made a new curly birch handle to it too,that i dyed with leftover dyes,mostly reddish brown and black,tomorrow ill see how it turns out finally,but this far im pretty happy to this new tool in my shed :)

My class has been training for the survival course thats part of our training,today they did some practise on temporary rucksack...

piatekkeeverkkoo.jpg

rikukasaarinkkaa.jpg

The survival course takes it place at july and during this week the ones who arent so into survivalism,have chance to practise skills and make items.

Ive been playing with my the british cooking/bottle system that ive been dreaming of for ages and finally i think i have all the bits and bobs and it seems to be quite nice piece of kit,compact,reliable and effective enough.

brittipakki2.jpg

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Awesome stuff there mate, looks like some great terrain and spectacular sights.
Can you tell me more about your odball tent? :D

unfortunately i cant,i think as its an age old prototype without any official name.its made from same materials as Vihe´s other shelters,meaning 600d silvercoated nylon,if i get it right,its fully waterproof and reflects some heat.The inner mesh part has a floorcloth from same material as the actual tent cloth itself,and teh inner part is removable to gain more space,ive slept in mine with my girlfriend pretty easily.Inner mesh tent has about 100x200 floorspace and its about 90-95cm high so you can sit in it while dressing etc.Theres enough space for big rucksack too outside the inner part.you can open two zippers of the outer part to have some small sun/rain cover,and ive used to have spaceblanket(savotta´s) under the whole set up.IMO its very simple and trustworthy,simplified option for laavu´s or lea to´s.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
unfortunately i cant,i think as its an age old prototype without any official name.its made from same materials as Vihe´s other shelters,meaning 600d silvercoated nylon,if i get it right,its fully waterproof and reflects some heat.The inner mesh part has a floorcloth from same material as the actual tent cloth itself,and teh inner part is removable to gain more space,ive slept in mine with my girlfriend pretty easily.Inner mesh tent has about 100x200 floorspace and its about 90-95cm high so you can sit in it while dressing etc.Theres enough space for big rucksack too outside the inner part.you can open two zippers of the outer part to have some small sun/rain cover,and ive used to have spaceblanket(savotta´s) under the whole set up.IMO its very simple and trustworthy,simplified option for laavu´s or lea to´s.

Awesome, looks like going to the drawing board and getting the sewing machine out then, its such a great idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE