Random Flora and Fauna on my wanderings.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi All,

Just thought I'd do another of my odds and sods posts on things I see on my wanderings around the local. Not very exciting as usual but it's all the wee things that build up a picture in your head of your surroundings and often we ignore the mundane.

IMG_0545.JPG

First of a member of the thistle family (as today in 1263 the Battle of Largs took place and it was supposedly a Norwegian stepping on one of these that saved the day and it becoming our national flower).
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG

A couple of shots of Vetch looking all dewy and glistening in the morning.
IMG_0548.JPG

Some purple vetch, this is one of my favourite little wayside snacks as when caught right the little "Peas" in the pods are just like mini garden peas.
IMG_0561.JPG

Bumper crop of ASH keys this year. Unluckily for me I'm not to keen on the taste of pickled ash keys as I could have had heaps. Leaves are beginning to turn as ASH is the last to get and first to loose its leaves.
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG

Good year for the ROWAN jelly lovers.
IMG_0556.JPG

Looking down from one of the many bridges in the village, this one is by the old smiddy.
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG

Climber twisting its way around and old umbrellafer.
IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

Todays mystery fungi, (haven't looked it up, but I always find small fungi like this great to look at as there's always something otherworldly about them)
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG

Some of our little mono footed pals showing off the Fibonacci sequence.
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG

There's a lot of ergot fungus in the wild cereals this year round here. Must've been a pain in the posterior for our HG ancestors.
IMG_0583.JPG

Ubiquitous spider shot to keep Harvestman happy:)
IMG_0588.JPG

A lone ROWAN/Mountain Ash struggles amid the rocks?
IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

Not really growing on top of an old stob. Best one I ever found was a Rowan growing out of a split in a Yew tree. Heaps of symbolism there for those of us so minded.
IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0602.JPG

Some of the old chainsaw carvings of WWI troops down by the village war memorial. Looking back to the village and boot factory that supplied a lot of footwear to the troops.

Anyway have taken up enough of your time for today, hope it wasn't too boring for you.

TTFN,
GB.

Last edited:

Spinnaker

Sep 24, 2013
Suffolk
Lovely set of pics, Goatboy. Thanks for sharing.

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare - William Henry Davies

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thank you Spinnaker, I hadn't read Leisure in years. One of my primary teachers first read it to us many moons ago. Nice little poem.

Thanks too Stringmaker. Really I stop and look at stuff so much as an excuse for a rest:eek:. No it's actually a habit taught to me by my father so that you didn't get lost. If you "notice" things on the way there you can always "notice" your way back again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE