random comment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
i'm just over in germany sorting out some admin at the moment and i went for a walk with little ben (a yorkie) this afternoon.

the woods are simply stunning! they are beach, silver birch & scots pine and you can really see that autum is here. the leaves are comming out in all those colours that can only be seen about now, the air is crisp and clean and once i got away from the garrison there wasnt any litter to be seen (why is it the brits' litter so much? should be an olyimpic event, we'd get gold every 4 years :( )

in my short mooch with the pup, i managed to see green woodpecker, buzzard, roe doe & last years fawn, a stoat, numerous fungi & flowers that i've set to id.

i am wondering, are there places like this in the uk? i must admit that i've not been out to many places in norwich since moving over (for various lame reasons :eek: ) but the places that i have been to all seem to over used or, dare i say, abused?

ok, i seem to have gone off point a bit there, i'm sorry :rolleyes: . just wanted to let yous know that it is pretty breathtaking here at the moment! (and i have missed it :eek: , never thought i'd have said that...)

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
sounds great :)
i love autumn, it's one of my four favourite seasons :D , i don't know your area but there is still wilderness in the uk :) and even in the city, mother nature has a way of peeping through the cracks in the concrete, if you know what i mean :)

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
Viking said:
If Germany is so great, why do they all come to Sweden...?

no idea dude. maybe germany is good, but sweden is just better? i have been to sweden, but i was driving on a charity event so i dint get the chance to look, other than out the window of a shogun :(

i do remember from when i was living here that very few people were ever in the woods, which while being a shame in some ways but was a bonus for me and the other guys :) !

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Autumn is a beautiful time of year. Actually, any time in the woods is a beautiful time. :)

There is one solution to the litter problem, which is bad here in the US too. When you go into the woods, take a trash bag, fill it up and then properly dispose of it. If everyone that visits this board filled one trashbag, no matter the size, each time they went out, it would really make a difference.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
RovingArcher said:
There is one solution to the litter problem, which is bad here in the US too. When you go into the woods, take a trash bag, fill it up and then properly dispose of it. If everyone that visits this board filled one trashbag, no matter the size, each time they went out, it would really make a difference.

i normaly forget the bag and end up stuffing bits in my pockets...

it does help, but it just bugs me why people litter in the 1st place :aargh4:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Viking said:
If Germany is so great, why do they all come to Sweden...?

hi mate,
Germany has some great places especially in the south the Alps are much like Norway, it has some huge forests too with oak trees etc. One big difference is that it is much more controlled in form of not camping where you like too, making a fire, hunting is very expensive and only something for the rich etc etc. Here up in Sweden most of the wilderness experience is for everyone. Hunting in Norrland is a every family affair. If you want to go fishing in Germany you have to make a fishing license much like our "jägarexamn" only for fishes. Fishing license cost as well a bit more than the little SEK we have to pay here. The nature is stunning there too but very much regulations. No bears, no wolfs, no moose either so I believe there is a image of freedom the german tourist projects onto the swedish wilderness.

cheers
Abbe

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I’m in Wales and it’s beautiful. I do have to add that it is restrictive here in the UK, you can’t just go out and do what you want but there are places that you can really appreciate the world around you and get out into it. The stuff that we’re restricted on such as fires, shelter building and the like is only a small part of what we enjoy, there’s nothing stopping us learning the plants and the trees, eating the wild foods that we find in our wanderings, learning the names and habits of the local wildlife, navigation, tracking and so much more. And in my opinion this really is a beautiful country, there’s amazing things to see in other countries, grand and impressive but we have plenty to be appreciated here all the way from the wilds of Scotland and the islands right through to the white cliffs of Dover.

Yesterday my neighbour was walking past with a basket full of fungi, during the week I saw people out picking out of the hedgerows, I’ve sat reading this morning while the Squirrels play in the trees. Today while I drive about I’ll see Buzzards, Redkites and other birds of prey and when I pop down to the beach later with the kids there will be some Seals playing just off shore, they’ll come close when we sit on the rocks overlooking them.

I miss some of the things from when I lived in Canada and Europe as a lad, but there really is a plethora of things in the UK to take your breath away and keep you occupied….

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE