Rancid Badger Sheath Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
There has been a few threads on here about "your perfect knife". I have been searching long and hard and not found mine until now. I have collected a stack of knifes in the process.

My requirements were

Bright handle
Stainless Steel
A useable tool
Mid thickness of blade
Safely packable in a pocket or bag

Of all the knifes I bought the mora 740 seemed to be most combortable in my hand, the handle is thin but deep so it gives me good control over the knife. Allot of knifes have handles that are to small, I dont have the biggest hands but found allot of them not overly practical.

The tool had to have a bright handle as it makes tidying camp up allot easier, it also means that if my knife, an essential piece of kit falls into grass or ferns it is easily spotted, saves having to take an unwanted detour to find something you really need at your next camp.

Allot of my time is spent on the water or in wet conditions (Scotland) which means my gear spends allot of the time wet, I dont have the time in life to look after carbon steel, this is a useable tool.

I dont have any requirements for a thick blade as I'm never batoning my knife, my axe is much more efficent for those type of tasks, plus I fillet allot of fish so thin but strong.

I have no desire to keep a knife on my hip, there are to many people wandering about these days, so showing you have a knife is not my style, there are to many storys of folk wandering onto a road or carpark with their knife still on the belt, I for one dont want to be that person, so the knife has to pack well in a pocket or bag.

Paddle 09 in Perth found the knife I was after, mora 760 with a bright blue handle, perfect except for the sheath. The dodgy plastic thing they come with just didnt feel safe enough to store in my pocket, if that comes off I would end up with a knife blade in my femoral artery or chest.

There are some peoples work on this forum that just stands out as head and shoulders above everyone else, Rancid Badgers sheaths I have admired for a long time. So I asked Steve if he could help me out and sort a sheath for my mora, and he did a splendid job.

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

The sheath doesnt cover the handle so it won't comoflage it if i drop it, Its is a perfect blade gaurd with a secure fastening, so it can be stored in my pocket or bag, it keeps bulk to a minimum. Perfect and fantastic workmanship, RB I cant thank you enough.

The stats are 3.5mm veg tan cowhide, welted, hand sadle stiched, brass bits and bobs, dyed brown and finished off with carauba wax.

My Perfect Knife

chas

Feb 22, 2006
mid essex
Thanks for the kind comments.:eek:
I haven't done much at all, for more than 6 months and Johns idea for the blade cover, got me going again:buttkick:

atb

Steve

RB, you made me a belt last year, like most folks I've got several, but when I'm going out and it's something special (BS filter kicks in) I wear your belt and feel GOOD! Keep up the good work me old mate and don't let the trivia in life get you down, yours in the woods, ATB, Chas.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Great choice!
A sensible, no-nonsense aproach to a tool to work with.
Improved where the user thought it usefull, definitly priceworthy and all one needs if function is everything

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I have a leather belt which Steve made for me, and its the very best belt that I've ever worn.

Steve's belt supports all my (heavy) belt holstered kit securely and very comfortably.

The quality is superb. The man is an artisan, and whilst he is modest about his craftsmanship, all that he makes, speaks volumes!
happy0034.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE