Rain...

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Nettle wine is very nice. My favourite at the moment is beetroot. Oddly enough the bungalow we are in is smaller than the flat was and so I got rid of a load of demijohns before we moved, so what with the need for more of those and now tools, not to mention the newly acquired leather and canvas fetish, I think it's a bigger shed I need to be thinking about!

Its beetroot for me as well. I also have some cider on the go at the moment.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit to feeling sorry for you all when I listened to R4's forecast saying that everyone but us east coast Scots were going to get wet. Spent the day chopping wood outside and drying my washing. Lovely again today too. We have had a couple of frosty mornings though if that makes you feel better?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its okay here - some cloud and some sun - no rain. Rained a bit last night which was good - caught the last mole I have been after (peripheral feed run).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Its okay here - some cloud and some sun - no rain. Rained a bit last night which was good - caught the last mole I have been after (peripheral feed run).
You tried the method of burying a glass bottle in the runs with just the top sticking out? As the wind blows across the top the noise scares them off, did it one place I had a problem and they quickly vacated. Just be careful when cutting the grass!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find very little more effective than killing them to be honest ;).

I like the furry little miners - but when they start destroying my food (which they don't eat but just plough up after all the worms), they need to be eliminated. I do take a pride in becoming the neighbourhood "mole man" if I'm honest :eek:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I find very little more effective than killing them to be honest ;).

I like the furry little miners - but when they start destroying my food (which they don't eat but just plough up after all the worms), they need to be eliminated. I do take a pride in becoming the neighbourhood "mole man" if I'm honest :eek:
Cool, just wondered if you'd tried it. Remember one lad who worked for me who was a great chap though not the sharpest chisel in the box. He was sitting staring at my new moleskin trousers one rainy lunchtime in the van, after a while he piped up - "I canny see the stitchmarks where they've sewn all the we moles together!" Sweet lad.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Strange you say that. I trapped out my neighbours couple of acres last week and we were discussing what a waste it was of a beautiful skin and debating making a real moleskin waistcoat :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Strange you say that. I trapped out my neighbours couple of acres last week and we were discussing what a waste it was of a beautiful skin and debating making a real moleskin waistcoat :)
Lot of work, but would be absolutely stunning, and so soft and nice, beautiful little pelt on them; or would that be peltlett!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You would need a lot of moles for sure. The debate was along the lines of "it would be worth doing only if we got a lot in one hit". I'm not a professional moley - just do it to help friends so I only get a few at a time - not worth messing about tanning a few tiny peltetts :).

I suppose they could be skinned and frozen then tanned en masse?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You would need a lot of moles for sure. The debate was along the lines of "it would be worth doing only if we got a lot in one hit". I'm not a professional moley - just do it to help friends so I only get a few at a time - not worth messing about tanning a few tiny peltetts :).

I suppose they could be skinned and frozen then tanned en masse?

Might be worth a bob or two! LINK

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I may have to do that - I've probably had a couple of dozen this year

Sorry for the bizarre thread hijack :eek:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Well, Monday and Tuesday rained lots, but I don't mind - it meant the crowds stayed away from where I wanted to be, so nice and quiet for me :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry to sound boring, but after another cold start it's beautifully sunny and warm here again. Sitting outside and the washing is almost dry after a very short time, means a lovely nice smelling sleeping bag when away @ Comrie Croft this weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE