rain deer hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all,
Ok i've been asked to find out what you good people think of rain deer hides. I've read threads where people us them to sleep on in hammocks and mor's talked about how good they were for clothing at last years moot
So who uses them what do you think of them. How much do they cost and what would people think of a possable group buy in the future.
Thanks
Sandbag47

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
From memory Simon M and PJCMcBear use them. Apparently they are very good but I have no first hand knowledge to be able to advise propely.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
SWMBO bought me one a few years ago,
my comment would be along the lines of "Bl**dy Fantastic", soft, warm, thick and never fails to perform. If there is a downside, it would be the bulk, as they don't fold/roll anything like small.
If I have spare coin at the time, I'd be very interested in a GB.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use one as a seat cover in my work room, a chair cover come ground mat come pillow come occassional hammock liner, and I love it!
Drawbacks include bulk, weight and loose hair getting everywhere....but I still love em!
Two of the 3 I had have proven to be a bit poorly tanned and are going to holes a bit (which may account for the loose hairs) but I got mine cheap.
I could be up for another...if the price is right!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have one and like the others find it very warm and comfortable as a sleep mat, much warmer than sheepskin for example. It's big and bulky though and you have to take care to keep it dry unless you go for the siliconised versions that are about.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
LePrevo have some Seconds for a little over £40 I think. They did have some for about £35 recently but they seem to have gone now. No connection etc.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
As commented on above, I have 2 and use them in my hammock or as throws over my camp bed.

They do loose hair and are bulky, but are very warm to the touch.

I love mine and use them when base / car camping.

Simon

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
What about a sheepskin as an alternative.
We bought sheepskins from Skye Skyns a few years ago. They don't drop like reindeer hides and have the advantage that they're machine washable.

Intertidal

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I've a few of them now. Excellent for car camping, but as others have said, very bulky and most shed heavily.

I think an average price is between £40-70, depending on quality. Mine have cost as little as £17 (crap - wouldn't use to to wipe my behind) up to £38 (a real bargain - seller didn't know what it was worth). I wouldn't shop for them on ebay again. Good ones are hard to find on there, I know to my cost. If you find a dealer selling them you may be okay.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Sandbag47 you must be nuts thinking of another group buy, all that hassle, all that looking for the right price, all that money hassle, but since your asking I have used a silicone backed reindeer hide for the last 5 years and it gets 12 out of 10 for me it is so warm and thick, I use it to lounge in at camp just slung into a chair and sit in it, I have thrown it on the floor and fell asleep on it (very comfy) and I have used it in the hammock at way below freezing and stayed warm. I also have a non silicone backed, and whilst it works just as well it got a bit damp a while back and smells a bit now, so I would have to say go for a silicone if possible.
I would be up for another anyway, cheers

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
now I want one!!! but they are super expensive over here costing just about 100 pounds for one, wish is huge compared to the 40 your guys can get them at.. even 60 is a bargain reletivly! It seems like one would be cool to have, for sleepign in a hammock, wich is something im going to try this summer, but probably better for car camping? Does anyone have a picture of one as small as it can get, and the weight of it? thanks!

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
The weight of my best skin is about 1.5kg, but it is huge. About 5ft long. I would want to fold any of them too tightly. I think it might break/damage the hairs. Personally, I just roll the up and fasten a couple of straps about them, not to tight either.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
I have scoured the interwebs in th elast 10 minutes as best as I can, and cannot find any source for a silconized hide in the U.S.

So if there is anyone in the US or knows of a site her, can you please pm me, or post the link?

pretty pretty please with a cherry on top?

Thanks so much!!

-CS

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have scoured the interwebs in th elast 10 minutes as best as I can, and cannot find any source for a silconized hide in the U.S.

So if there is anyone in the US or knows of a site her, can you please pm me, or post the link?

pretty pretty please with a cherry on top?

Thanks so much!!

-CS

First hit in google for Reindeer Hide is http://www.chichesterinc.com/Reindeer.htm

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I sold a few on last year that were pretty good and the right price, I have looked at a couple of dozen so far this year and they have been small, thin and expensive. I would make sure that you see each one and not kinda order 20 and hope for the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE