Rabbit Shooting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Guys,

I am just about to start rabbitting with a mate. We have sighted the rifles in and are both confident that we can put in a 25mm group at 30yds. We are both using .22 air rifles up to the legal limit.

We have shoot on a cross country riding course and are assured of good sport.

What I am after is a section of top tips for rabbitting, anything from camouflage and concealment to dressing rabbits and anything in between.

I am sure that this has probably been done to death already but please indulge me.

Regards

Stewey.:D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Hi Stewey

I am at home today getting my house ready to go on the market if you PM me a contact number I would be happy to give you a call and discuss it at length. I shoot in excess of 1000 rabbits a year and have picked up one or two tips over the years ;)

Regards

Dave

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I am sure silver back will give you great info. i've got a copy of John Darlings 'air rifle hunting' book I can lend?

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Im going out this weekend , last time we went thngs i noticed is that if you shoot and miss they all freeze for like 6 seconds so be quick at loading and you can probly get a second shot. Also if thy do all scatter come back in about 10-15 mins and they come back out sometimes.

when you are out in the field 30 yrds is a lot closer than you think ;)

practice range finding you can do this as yo walk about ie guess to the next lampost/tree and then pace it as you go past

also if its 25 yrds yo need know how much to hold under etc
so put out a series of targets scattered fron 10 to 35 yrds and take one shot at each
give only 6-10 seconds to aim settle and shoot and do them out of sequence and shoot in the position you will hunt in ie kneeling sitting standing etc (not benched)
see if your still in the 1"

walk your land with out a gun and plan routes or spots again range by eye and pace it out to get the feel

oh and enjoy being out :D

atb

Duncan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Definitely recce your shoot, try to go around in different directions or the rabbits will wise up. As for camouflage, if they aren't being shot, the'll probably be very brave. If you can get hold of some old combat tousers and a combat jacket, then you will benefit from not getting your proper clothes covered in sheep poo!

The shoot where Ratbag and myself go on has a number of different pest species, and we will decide now and then to maybe leave the rabbits and concentrate on something else. This weekend, we did squirrels. They don't really care what you look like, they are cheeky scamps and you can just stroll through the woods and sort them out. Corvids and pigeons are different. Good luck on sneaking up on a pigeon, they are very difficult to spot in the foliage and have a sixth sense to danger!

If you do go after the flying pests, cover up as much skin as possible, wear some cheap thin woolen gloves to cover your skin and cover your face with a scrim net and wear a hat. It seems that rooks can spot you from a mile off otherwise. It's either that or cam cream!:eek:

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I'm sure you'll get good advice from Silverback. I'm still getting the hang of it, but my thoughts as a newcomer are :

Find out where the rabbits are on your shoot. The landowner will probably be able to give you some good pointers here and save you a bit of time. Then find out when they're most active. The rabbits on Spam's permission are mainly round three main warrens, and you're most likely to see them in the last hour of daylight, particularly on overcast days or in light dizzle.

Equally important is to find out where the public are on your shoot, and treat them with the greatest respect. I prefer to remain unseen if possible. The last thing I want is the landowner (or the police) getting an earful about blokes with g*ns from Joe Punter, even if I'm entitled to be there. And know the law, would be my strong recommendation.

My view is that rabbits don't use their eyes the way we do. That is, they react to movement, but I've stood (still) in plain sight on watched rabbits many times and have been pretty well ignored. Make a sudden move though and watch them run. If you do move to position yourself for a shot, use whatever natural cover there is or, if in the open, move dead slow. You can make some surprising changes to position if you do it very slowly.

Rabbits have got great (big!) ears and a fantastic sense of smell though. Walk carefully, avoid twigs that would snap or leaves that would rustle. Remember that you'll be within their earshot long before you see them, so keep talking to a minimum and tread softly, as I think they can sense your footsteps through the ground too. Try to keep your hunting gear and clothes free of non-natural smells. If your kit smells of this morning's fry-up to you, it's going to be like a stinky siren going off to a rabbit! Equally, you don't want it to smell of fabric conditioner either (or woodsmoke, I would have thought). I keep mine in the garage away from smells, and I don't wash it much!

As for field kit, remember to take a bag to put the shot rabbits in, lined with a binliner or similar to stop it getting covered in claret. A pair of disposable latex gloves makes a big difference to the skinning and gutting process. A small sharp knife and a small torch are essential too, in my book.

And headshots, always headshots.

Hope that helps.

Rat

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Cheers fo all the info and advice. My mate's father in law works on the land and a chat in the pub last Friday night pointed us in the right direction. He has been observing the rabbit's behaviour over the last few months.

Keep the advice coming, it is all good.

We are going out on Monday evening for the first time, I will let you know how things went.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
If you are lamping, try to get a lamp with an adjustable beam brightness.

I had a deben on my FAC Rapid and used to start with the control on it's lowest setting and slowly bring the light level up to just where i had enough vision through the scope to see the rabbit's eye and head.
They seemed to get a lot less spooked than sweeping a field with a bright beam.

..my 2p's worth:D :AR15firin

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Some great advice already about getting your quarry, and a chat with Silverback will see you with more information than you can use just now.
My advice would be to learn a good technique for paunching the rabbits, and know what to look for (diseases etc) if you are going to eat them. In my experience, to paunch them as soon as you can, lessens the smell that will linger on your hands for ages, if you don't.
As soon as you pick them up, purge the bladder or it'll taint the meat.
Inspect the removed organs, they are a great indicator of the state of health of the animal, and know how and where to dispose of unwanted parts.

I'm sure you'll have a great time on monday, so lets us know how you get on.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Spoke to Silverback on the phone last night for about an hour, great advice and tips.

Silverback :You_Rock_

We had thought about lamping but not for a while.

I have made some minor changes to the bipod set up on the rifle so a ten minute rezero session prior to set off will be in order.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Just to prove that I can 'walk the walk' :D

47 of the 59 I shot last night (go on count em' ;) )

DSC00111.jpg

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yup all shot with a .17HMR from a single fixed location in around 3 hours

I LOVED my .17:D

It shot so flat when compared to any other 'rabbit gun'.

I once aimed at a rabbit on a hill from one side of the field to the other and thought..."good backstop, sod it- lets have a go"

I aimed almost dead centre and squeezed the trigger....bunny fell over to my amazement!

I paced it out to an approximate 350m:eek: the hill decline obviously matched the drop off of the round.

...a feat that was never repeated i hasten to add, but i was still proud of the shot.:naughty:

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I'm really shocked by this post... all this talking about rabbit hunting and pictures... and there is not even a suggested recipe included.... shocked I tell you, SHOCKED ! :D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I'm really shocked by this post... all this talking about rabbit hunting and pictures... and there is not even a suggested recipe included.... shocked I tell you, SHOCKED ! :D
Here is a corker that we had last weekend at the Berkshire meet. I cannot take the credit as most of the ingredients come from a good mate of mine who is at present a lurker on this forum until he gets sorted with an email address (Jon you know who you are ;) ) I took 10 rabbits with fur on but gutted with kidneys and liver left in. I took them in a cool box with two bags of semi frozen water in the bottom. The rabbits were left in the coolbox overnight for skinning and jointing demos the following day. When the rabbits were removed they had bled quite a lot and the blood had mixed with the now ice cold water in the bottom of the cooler, this was transferred to a large dutch oven and heated over the fire. As the liquid heated up the sediment forming on the top was removed along with some of the liquid and replaced with red wine. The liver and kidneys from five rabbits were added along with onions, celery, a bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, salt and pepper then of course 5 jointed rabbits (saddles and thighs only) The whole mixture was then covered and left to simmer for approximately two and a half hours, topping up with red wine as required. 24 herb dumplings were then added and left for a further 30 minutes. It was quite simply the best stew I have ever tasted and I wasn't alone as several others confirmed at the time. Jon had also brought along a huge pan of fluffy mash which really put the icing on the cake :D

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Just a quick update on the shooting situation.

Jon and I walked the shoot on Monday evening, the land has a crop of hay on it at the moment about 18" deep. Jon saw loads of bunnies around a water jump which is easily accessible. The jumps and their immediate environs have short grass around them as the cross country course is still in operation.

Elsewhere we saw a few, we have been invited to go lamping when the hay is taken off in July.

I have just got the shooting on a friend's farm which is several hundred acres as well.

Regards

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Here is a corker that we had last weekend at the Berkshire meet. I cannot take the credit as most of the ingredients come from a good mate of mine who is at present a lurker on this forum until he gets sorted with an email address (Jon you know who you are ;) ) I took 10 rabbits with fur on but gutted with kidneys and liver left in. I took them in a cool box with two bags of semi frozen water in the bottom. The rabbits were left in the coolbox overnight for skinning and jointing demos the following day. When the rabbits were removed they had bled quite a lot and the blood had mixed with the now ice cold water in the bottom of the cooler, this was transferred to a large dutch oven and heated over the fire. As the liquid heated up the sediment forming on the top was removed along with some of the liquid and replaced with red wine. The liver and kidneys from five rabbits were added along with onions, celery, a bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, salt and pepper then of course 5 jointed rabbits (saddles and thighs only) The whole mixture was then covered and left to simmer for approximately two and a half hours, topping up with red wine as required. 24 herb dumplings were then added and left for a further 30 minutes. It was quite simply the best stew I have ever tasted and I wasn't alone as several others confirmed at the time. Jon had also brought along a huge pan of fluffy mash which really put the icing on the cake :D

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

That looks fantastic Silverback ! I always was fond of red wine in stews / marinade and such. My favorite is duck, but I have to admit I'd like to try the rabbit that way !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE