Rabbit Season?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Just hoping to clarify something here.
What is the best time of day and year for rabbit hunting,not lamping just an air rifle and dog.
When i was around 10 an old hand at hunting said to me that the season for rabbits is the months which don't contain R's in them.(May June July and August)
Another said Spring in the morning when the grass is still wet.
And my final advice given has been whenever the sun is out.
Anyone else heard of these or no for fact the best time to do it.

Thanks
Lodian

Sep 27, 2007
essex
My Granddad would always shoot them early in the year Jan/Feb and early in the morning and at dusk. It is important to point out he would take young rabbits and not shoot the parents.

Kris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I find there aren't any hard and fast rules regarding rabbits! You think you have them sussed and then they decide to change their habits! :rolleyes: The only way is to shoot the land and learn the habits. Each trip out, you willget more succesful and experienced, your field craft will increase and you will tune in and see more. Anyway, I find even if I go out and see nothing, I still had a nice walk in a fine bit of countryside without the pressures of everyday living. Good luck with your shoot!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It depends on the terrain and weather. I have had some great hunting on bright, frosty mornings on rough grassland/hawthorn scrub in the middle of winter. Change the weather, the time of day, or the time of year, and the bunnies were easier to find somewhere else. In the summber I prefer to shoot in the long evenings, rather than in the morning. It is easier to stay out till last light than to try to get up early enough to catch the dawn and if you sit and wait in the evening, the rabbits tend to become more active, whereas in the morning, things are going to get quieter.

I couldn't lamp on the land I hunted due to light polution, so May-September was by far the best part of the year, with the easiest shooting towards the early part of that time, when the rabbit's coats contrasted with the bright green growth.

That was in Leicestershire.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Kind of agree so far,
They are not always predictable creatures - that is what makes them so successfull, just when you think you have got their habits sussed - they change and you're left with an empty bag. Summer evenings when the traffic noise has calmed and dogs are indoors has been good for me. And I'll agree with Chris in not finding the early mornings easy to do any more. I used to find that if I got into cover early enough in the evening, then wait until you see half a dozen or so before taking your first pop - otherwise they learn to wait until after the shot before appearing - waiting all night if necessary.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE