Rabbit Query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
In one of the rabbits I shot yesterday, I noticed that the liver had two fluid-filled cysts inside of it. They were about 1-1.5cm long and about .5cm diameter. The rabbit looked (and acted) healthy and there were no other signs of it being anything other than OK. The rest of the insides and ofal were fine, and the eyes were clear and bright. Any ideas? :confused:
David
(p.s. I've fed the meat from it to my cat, but threw the liver away)

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
lord lurcher said:
:eek: oops should of read post properly! What was the fluid in them?
How much detail do you want.
The cyst contains the intermediary stage of the tapeworm, most likely Taenia species in this case. The walls and fluid of the cyst protect the parasite from the secondary hosts immune system, in the secondary host they are usually benign. Benign that is unless they are in a critical area, then the pressure from the cyst can cause problems or pain. Check out the diseases Gid in sheep or Trichonella in people who have eaten infected pork (cook that wild meat well).
Once the cyst is consumed by the primary host it develops into an adult tapeworm in the intestines. If consumed by an animal other than the primary host it canmigrate to other parts of the body causing all sorts of problems, see Trichonella.

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
As long as the meat was cooked properly, so that any parasites within the meat were killed off, then it would have been safe. The cysts of this parasite are normally found in the liver any way.
All wild meats should be properly cooked if you are at all unsure.

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
Thanks all. I'll keep a close look-out in future. I must admit I didn't mess about with the cysts too much .... as soon as I found them I threw the liver away. I cut up the rest of the animal into small pieces before the cat got it so I'm pretty sure I'd have spotted anything else in the meat. Perhaps worth wearing rubber gloves in future, just in case? .... My brother-in-law had a tape worm (all 30'+) :eek: - and all I can say is 'No Thanks!'
David

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
There should be no need for gloves as long as you wash your hands properly afterwards. Perhaps in the USA were they have tuleraemia, but in the UK there aren`t any zoonosis that you should need to worry about.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do birds carry these cysts too? There was a thread recently on eating magpies, rooks & crows and I know recipes for rooks but they all say to remove the liver, and no one ever explained why.

Cheers,
Toddy

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
Toddy said:
Do birds carry these cysts too? There was a thread recently on eating magpies, rooks & crows and I know recipes for rooks but they all say to remove the liver, and no one ever explained why.

Cheers,
Toddy
All wild animals have the potentiel to carry some parisite, it`s the natural way of things. But thorough cooking of meat will kill off the parasites. The reason the liver is said to be discarded is that it is the most likely place that ingested parasites will lodge. Any liver that shows signs of cysts, speckles or spots should be discarded.
Regarding rooks etc, as they are carion eaters there is a greater chance that they will be carrying parasites from the things they have eaten.
By the way rook breasts braised in guiness are very toothsome.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Polestar said:
Thanks all. I'll keep a close look-out in future. I must admit I didn't mess about with the cysts too much .... as soon as I found them I threw the liver away. I cut up the rest of the animal into small pieces before the cat got it so I'm pretty sure I'd have spotted anything else in the meat. Perhaps worth wearing rubber gloves in future, just in case? .... My brother-in-law had a tape worm (all 30'+) :eek: - and all I can say is 'No Thanks!'
David

I never clean a rabbit without rubber gloves. A second cousin of mine died after cleaning (not eating) a rabbit infected with tullaremia.

Jun 4, 2006
Kent
a few days ago i found a jelly like ooze that popped out of the saddle of a rabbit i had shot when i was butchering it. the jelly was clear and had dozens of tiny white egg-things... has anyone got any idea?

needless to say that one was buried....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE