*r*n*t*ng from a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That's one thing I heard it called - there might be another name too.
Have you any idea if they'd be "fit for purpose" for the original poster and, I don't think I can put this delicately, is there an easy way for him to figure out what size he needs? :eek:

Haha - the things we discuss on this board - madness.

Frankly no.. they were fiddly things to put on someone else, but they are better fitted by the person who's using them. To get a "good" fit we used to trim any hairs short. use a skin prep soln to make the skin a bit more "adhesive" and apply. Proper fit was/is very important. They are prone to twisting and "blowback" which is descriptive and is exactly as it sounds.... Realistically they are best for static people in bed, with a "dribbling" problem, for active bushcrafters in a hammock, Erics' wide mouthed bottle is the way to go..

Possibly the most unusual reply to date I've made.::) . but that the benefit of the forum...

Hmmmmm......

Small, reenforced hole in bottom of hammock (say, half an inch long)...
Tube going down through the hole and into...
Empty bottle on the ground under the hammock...
Maybe a funnel or something similar on the top of the tube and you could pee into the bottle without needing to keep it with you.

"It's so crazy it just might work"

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hmmmmm......

Small, reenforced hole in bottom of hammock (say, half an inch long)...
Tube going down through the hole and into...
Empty bottle on the ground under the hammock...
Maybe a funnel or something similar on the top of the tube and you could pee into the bottle without needing to keep it with you.

"It's so crazy it just might work"

By the time you've woken up, realised where you were, squirmed around in your sleeping bag moved aside to expose the reinforced hole, without falling out the back of the hammock, finding the hole, unzipping the sleeping bag, finding the plastic tube with the funnel, turning on your belly so you can hit the funnel, you've probably already peed yourself.

Take the Nalgene bottle INTO your sleeping bag and roll sideways just enough to pop your little hose into the mouth of the bottle and have a piddle in warmth and comfort.
Honest, it's the simple solutions that work best. Nalgene bottle. It does what it says on the tin!
No connection with nalgene blah, blah.

I did, for a joke once, offer my full from the night before Nalgene bottle to a passing bushcrafter at one of the meets with the offer "Like some apple juice?"
He thought about it for all of five seconds before he realised what was really in it.

Eric

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
What about sleeping face down with your Sergeant Major poking through the mesh? Excellent plan so long as there are no badgers bears or rats about!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
lol, bet it's not long before one of the girls gets the hump with this thread :lmao:

Must admit though, it's nice not to have to get out of your warm sleeping bag, especially in poor weather. You have my sympathies.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
spoony, This one has me worried, did you read the description?

"but it is not totally water tight"

Just what you need in a hammock when its full of........

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for all the comments - looks like a wide mouthed bottle is the way to go (so to speak).

I have an old cycle bottle made of soft plastic that has an offset/angled top - that might work well but I will give it a dry run (!) first

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Thanks folks I have'nt laughed this much in ages, the visions some of these replies conjures up is absolutely hilarious, complete with pitching rolls, blowbacks and so on brilliant, just brilliant. How to mark your territory and tell the difference between drinking bottles and non drinking bottles, great.
Serious note though, I have the same age, nightly urgency tendancies, and I use a plastic urinal bottle. Shape means no mistaken identities, perfectly designed and manufactured specifically for the purpose, cheap as chips, and seal tightly so no leakage worries. Just empty in the morning in a suitable location and rinse with water, and if your out for more than an overnighter, you can fill it with water and drop a sterident tablet in to sterilise it ready for the next night. Transport it in a sealed bag and you have the best and most discreet hammock or tent portaloo that you don't need to leave your sleeping bag to use, as already said just turn onto your side and let it all go, shaped neck means no need to aim, stick it in and squeeze as my shooting instructor once said. These bottles have enough capacity for a couple of uses before it needs emptying, even better and much cheaper than a wide mouthed Nalgene.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Go with the external male catheter / condom catheter.

Give yourself a 'Brazilian' and your all systems go:)

I know a male Nurse with a fear of flying so would go on holiday to Spain on a bus. He used these rather than pee in the tiny on board toilet

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was just wondering ... If a man got used to peeing in a bottle inside his sleeping bag, isnt he increasing the chances of actually peeing in the sleeping bag without the bottle? I mean I should imagine its hard to do first time the body will be saying "no no I cant pee Im still in the bed!"
soon you`ll have a dream where you need to go really bad and youll dream your in the hammock with a bottle and....

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Your only jealous Linz, LOL Dreaming I'm peeing into a bottle in a sleeping bag is not something I would normally do, something else maybe, but at my age dreaming is about it is about all I can manage :lmao: :p

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I was just wondering ... If a man got used to peeing in a bottle inside his sleeping bag, isnt he increasing the chances of actually peeing in the sleeping bag without the bottle? I mean I should imagine its hard to do first time the body will be saying "no no I cant pee Im still in the bed!"
soon you`ll have a dream where you need to go really bad and youll dream your in the hammock with a bottle and....

This only happens if you get drunk.

Eric

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
That would be a Texas Catheter, as a nurse we regularly used them for patients who needed something, but not an "indwelling" catheter..

A similar arrangement is the Conveen. I suspect I'd still go with the wide-mouthed bottle, however.

A friend in the navy used one at a mess dinner to avoid distress till the toasts were out the way. When discovered, he got fined the drinks bill....

I once asked a Scots Guardsman how they coped with long parades such as Trooping the Colour. The answer: "Just pish in yer tweeds, sir". The Guards trousers are, of course, both dark coloured and highly absorbent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE