*r*n*t*ng from a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The only solution is to get up and go. The quickest way is to sit up feet dangling in the HH slot, step into your boots, take a step or two to the side and go.

The tube idea isn't so daft.

There was a thread about an English Channel crossing on the Song of the Paddle forum where they discussed peeing mid way across.

There's a kind of external catheter, sounds something like a condom with a tube on the end. Whether you'd use it to just go over the side (err, no) or get a good aim into a bottle I dunno.

Could be worth looking into though.

Hokusai2.jpg

"Uh Skipper, I gotta go pee."

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
The tube idea isn't so daft.

There was a thread about an English Channel crossing on the Song of the Paddle forum where they discussed peeing mid way across.

There's a kind of external catheter, sounds something like a condom with a tube on the end. Whether you'd use it to just go over the side (err, no) or get a good aim into a bottle I dunno.

Could be worth looking into though.

its called a conveen they use em in old folks homes

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Your only jealous Linz, LOL Dreaming I'm peeing into a bottle in a sleeping bag is not something I would normally do, something else maybe, but at my age dreaming is about it is about all I can manage :lmao: :p

Jealous? How very Freudian!
On QI Alan davis said he had a dream he was peeing talking to elvis and when he woke up he had wet the bed. these things do happen!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
During my winter months of service I used a special nalgene bottle for this purpose (as most guys did). This was kept in the ruck together with the sleeping stuff, not in the vest as the drinking nalgene bottle was, the 'special' one was also marked with gaffa tape, so it could be distinguished in the dark. As long as it improves your rest it's valid, IMO. Remember to rinse it every morning with boiling water though. Especially around the rim and the inside of the lid.

The idea of taking a few steps to the side and having a wee, is not really good though. If it's dry it could be a hygiene risk. The clever man now reacts, how can urinating next to the sleeping place be a hazard and p1ssing IN the sleeping place be okay??? Well, the crotch is really infested with bacterias as it is (especially after a few days walking..) and the bottle is only open for a short while so bacterial growth is kept at a minimum, compared to the wee on the ground, in the bushes and so on, it also stinks up the camp, and if you are a couple of people it could really ruin the site for other after you. Don't keep keep the bottle in the bed though. And sterilise your hands for christ sake.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I make use of the twin zipper pulls on my sleeping bag. they allow me to basicaly unzip the sleeping bag from the bottom. unzip it a short way, stick your feet out, and make a run for a convinient tree, while still in you'r lovely warm sleeping bag. pull the sleeping bag up past waist level, do the buisness, run back. then re-enter hammock, and re-zip sleeping bag.

course you have to make sure youv'e got good hold of the sleeping bag, or mid-buisness it could fall back down :eek:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Jealous? How very Freudian!
On QI Alan davis said he had a dream he was peeing talking to elvis and when he woke up he had wet the bed. these things do happen!

Freudian? Why did he pee in his hammock? LOL
What I meant is it's a bit easier for us blokes to do in a hammock than it is for you girls. :p

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Im in two minds.. I have a HH and by the time I have gotten out of the bag figured out which end I should be moved the pad found the velcro unpuled the velcro moved the underblanket aside found my boots stepped out picked up all the stuff that fell out whilst getting up take a pee get back the way I came out it is usally time to forget sleep for the rest of the night as im usually wide awake!!

So a bottle might be a good choice.

However the homemade hammock is unzip bag swing feet around step into shoes walk pee and the reverse im back in and sleeping before you know it..
So bottle would not be useful..

But whatever I think the best is to get up that way you get to see hear wildlife and also check if there is any weather damage.. I mean who needs sleep when outdoor s;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE