R I P Landy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Looking for lots of sympathy here :-(

The landys had it. after spending more money repairing my Series 3 that most small countries owe the main engine bearing is shot. needes a new engine.

Do i throw another grand or more buying a new engine having it fitted or bin and start again. BTW it stands me at about £5500 since i bought 2 years ago.

Also the wife hates it as we were going to the peak district on our anniversary. Been travelling for 6 hours and had almost made it when crunch the gear box dies. Towed home in the wee small hours by the Rac. That cost me £600 to put right. i'm starting to sob again. :-(

Any ideas guys?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Might be time for a group hug :hug:

It is petrol or diesel? A 2.25 petrol engine for a landie shouldn't be too hard to find (and I'm not talking about recon ones but one from a scrapyard).

Other than the engine, what's it like? If it's in good nick it seems a shame to start again is you've already worked on the gearbox (opver five grand should go far on a landie).

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Its got a galvanised chassis 2.25 petrol converted to LPG. New everything really. Just needs the floor pan re welded was going to do it this summer and replace passenger door. Not a lot wrong with the door just a little rusty on the door top. has new starter motor brand new optima new alternator. its coil sprung. i am having the overdrive serviced at the minute.

been a labour of love really. most fun car i have ever had too

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Having had that much work done on it it's a shame to think about getting rid of it. The best way to get your moneys worth is by keeping it on the road.

You should be able to get a recon engine for around £600 (+vat) but if it's just the bottom end you might be able to pick up a block on the cheap.

Another option is to redo the bottom end ... not as expensive or difficult as most people think.

I guess I'm assuming that you are handy with the old spanners tho ... otherwise things get pricey ... :-(

BTW, how was the engine before the LPG conversion? I heard of a few engines go bang after that ...

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Sorry to hear your sad news, Wayne! :-( It's a scenario every landy owner dreads.

Hope you get it figured... :wink:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My condolences Wayne.

You might try contacting John Craddock, they were doing series petrol engines for a few hundred pounds not so long ago, maybe GuruShaun knows?

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE