R and I Training Smock Green

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Me too! Action Man was certainly one of my favourite toys!

Sent from Somerset using magic
So after a bit of searching, the NSN comes back as Smock - Windproof. A lot of the searches came back with those words and Royal Marines. A google of "R&I" Training royal marines came up with this link:

It looks like R&I training is Resource and initiative training which looks to be what the marines called Adventure Training in the 90's. Are there any Marines knocking about who can confirm this?
Well played Mr G Thanks for that

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Not too sure of the R and I bit, but it may refer to the RNLI instead?

We used to wear them on Army adventure training courses years ago - heavy canvas, perhaps slightly windproof but not waterproof, otherwise just rugged and heavy and uncomfortable.

Attached are 2 similar smocks from 1960s outdoor catalogues, so it may just have been the trendy design for mountain jackets in the day, although I suspect it was a military design as so much of that old surplus kit was used post-war for outdoor pursuits (according to these catalogues at any rate).
My brother had something very like that from Belstaff.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I don't know about the quality of the R&I smock but a good well made Gorka might be better made and suited. Probably cheaper too.

I’ve had a hankering for a Gorka suit for a few years now unsurprisingly ha ha

Reactions: SCOMAN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE