Quo Vadis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who goes there?

• Farmboy

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Knife nut

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Lost hillwalker

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Lone gunman

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Marine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ex marine

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • TA wish I was a marine

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Veggie hippy tree hugger

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • The office Ray Mears wannabe

Votes: 28 35.0%

• Total voters

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Lots of replies! I like it! :)
Robin Hood! Yep I guess that might even predate Biggles.
Les Hiddins - I never watched TV before I was about 25 but I saw him, on sky I think, at a friends house a few times...really interesting what I saw. I remember he had a good theory about the arrival of Aborigines to Aus based on Baobab trees??!!
Anyone know how many programs he did or if he wrote a book?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Sort of combination of knife nut (any edged tool) and non veggie hippy tree hugger if that helps. :p :)

Eddie Mcgee started me thinking of minimalist outdoorsing.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
HEH HEH :lmao:

A combination of lusting over the Survival Aids catalogue, Lofty's book then laterly Mr Mears has inspired me to get out of the armchair and into the woods.

Not as "hardcore" as a lot of you but i enjoy what i do, talking to you lot on here and hopefully a little party of 3 to add to next years Bushmoot.

What happened to Survival Aids? did they become Penrith Survival?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Farmboy I guess.... :rolleyes:
Everything I've learned I learned from Tintin. :D

ArkAngel said:
What happened to Survival Aids? did they become Penrith Survival?
Survival Aids went under. Penrith Survival are a different crew altogether(according to my mum who I asked the same thing of last week as we passed the shop).

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I used to be mad on mountains - years of smoking, drinking and getting fat made this uncomfortable so I still got out but stayed on the flat. I've given up smoking and almost given up drinking - well every day at least - and have shed a few pounds.

Trouble is I can make it up the hills, but I prefer to stay down here now. Carrying less kit is still a bonus though.

Watched Ray Mears some time ago with a beer, made a spoon, came on here and now I'm not looking back.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Had to pick Ex Marine (no ex Army), but was into the outdoors years before I joined up.

One name? Only one? Malcolm Carter. I know you've never heard of him. He was my grandfather. He was a soldier/poacher/gamekeeper and my best mate. Gutted when he passed away last year, but at least he got to meet his great grandson. 98 years old the old devil was. Sadly missed.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
And me... I bet we all lusted at the same era too.. I still have one of mine, the one that was wider than high (if you get my drift) and has a group of people walking through a shady mountain pass if memory serves. The Penrith Suvival font is exactly the same as Survival Aids logo, and the picture from their thermals range of a delightful filly in her silk long johns is exactly as it appears in my catalogue from all those years ago.. I guess some things stick in your memory!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My parents home was a brand new four apt in a council housing scheme in the heartlands of industrial Scotland......and every Winter my Dad built a boat in the back garden and every Spring our next door neighbour had to wait until the boat came out through his side of the block before he could get his garden in :rolleyes: I reckon that we really grew up in every wee boatyard on the Clyde, Dad knew them all and we spent most weekends down there.
The thing about a lot of those old schemes was though, that they were surrounded by countryside, and we wandered, "Down the burn" "over the woods" "across the bing" "through to the loch", and we were outdoors from dawn to dark, grew as brown as the gypsies, felt the seasons move as our games changed. Gathered the wild fruit, guddled for fish in the burn (and got yelled at, "You'll get typhoid from that" :confused: :eek: ) and generally took our time to grow up.
I sometimes think kids get rushed through being children nowadays in our society's haste to give them everything but our time.

My grandparents lived in a sandstone cottage that was one of a street that my great grandfather had built (Victorian, engineer/builder/contractor) and life there was rich in traditional crafts and skills, and again we wandered; grandpa walked miles everyday, old roads, farm tracks, woods and engineering yards :rolleyes: , and the grandkids just tagged along.........it's amazing what you can learn when there's someone interesting to go walkabout with. Granny's (and her sisters and daughters) households, gardens and *hens* (chickens, bantams, ducks and the occasional goose), followed the seasonal round too. Very traditional cooking; I can make real haggis, sausages, singed sheeps heid, pies, soups, stews, roasts, breads, jams, jellies, pickles, syrups, puddings......... because that's how it was done. I *hate* plucking hens though and I don't care how soft goose feathers are, I really, really don't like all those little bits all over me :(
I also have very distinct memories of *having* to keep the fire going, of having to have the chimney swept, of having to re-wash the stuff on the clothes line because it got rained on and the rain was dirty with industrial soot and coal fires. But what a smell on a cold dreich damp day coming home from school half frozen and knowing the fires were being lit because you could smell the smoke from coal just catching alight :D Our modern world doesn't smell good anymore, maybe why so many of us relish our days out and about.

Well this turned into a ramble of an answer, I reckon out and about is just me still playing :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I havent been here long so I dont know if I am stirring up something that is best left alone, but I detect a bad vibe directed towards Ray. I for one cant understand it, he has done as much for Bushcraft as Bill Gates did for computers. How many jobs has he been indirectly responsible for and a greater acceptance from Joe Public. I dont get the 'fatty/chubbywhathaveyou' remarks either. Ray was never in any high speed group, he doesnt need to be able to run 40 miles in 8 hours with 100 pounds on his back, so why do I see snide remarks? :confused:

I'm not one for hero worship or following a crowd, but I dare say Ray has forgotten more about this subject than I will ever know.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Childhood beach bumming in the tropics, then rambling the moors living on a sheep farm in Cornwall.

Looked up Ray Mears to see how he got to do the things he does, and found he ran courses. Booked myself on one pronto, and it gave me such peace. So I guess Ray has been my main inspiration, and I do bushcraft because it lets me get away from it all and gain some perspective on life.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Simon E said:
I havent been here long so I dont know if I am stirring up something that is best left alone, but I detect a bad vibe directed towards Ray. I for one cant understand it, he has done as much for Bushcraft as Bill Gates did for computers. How many jobs has he been indirectly responsible for and a greater acceptance from Joe Public. I dont get the 'fatty/chubbywhathaveyou' remarks either. Ray was never in any high speed group, he doesnt need to be able to run 40 miles in 8 hours with 100 pounds on his back, so why do I see snide remarks? :confused:

I'm not one for hero worship or following a crowd, but I dare say Ray has forgotten more about this subject than I will ever know.

Don't take it so seriously mate - having read back through there are very few anti Ray comments and many, many more favourable ones. They all love him really, it's just that he's a bit too 'mainstream' to be highly fashionable round here!

Lot's of people on here have been on his courses and loved them, I've been to see him talk a couple of times and personally think he's great.

He'll always be known as the chubby one - think of it as a term of endearment ;)

Have a look at this thread for another view of him.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Simon E said:
I havent been here long so I dont know if I am stirring up something that is best left alone, but I detect a bad vibe directed towards Ray...
Not from me, thats for sure. I have every respect for him. In fact I'd say he's been a great inspiration and a great teacher. If there is bad feeling elsewhere I have no idea what its based on.

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
Like Roefish, the woods were far more appealing than school as a youngster. 12 years in Her Maj Armed Forces and many years walking climbing and generaly out and about.

M

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Simon E said:

Hmmm…. :dunno: A strange post given the pro Ray :notworthy content of the thread! Though interesting! I’d be interested to see the threads that gave you your impression.
I think you have to remember though, that Ray came far too late to serve as inspiration for very many of us. People have been doing this for years (thousands of years) and in my own case his programs simply served as a welcome indication that the pastime, formerly known as survival, was growing in popularity and that the natural environment was finally being accorded some attention and respect. Obviously he will have inspired a whole new generation of “Bushcrafters” and as you can see even inspired hardened old salts back outdoors and in my case reminded me what fun spoon carving was. :D

Finally though nobody likes a smart a**e! ;) :lmao:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
its got to be my parents for hiking, Ray mears for skills, and Tolkien for the sense of adventure!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE