Quiz question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here's a nice little poser that I saw elsewhere, thought I'd post it here.

Walk along a beach at low tide when the sand is firm and wet. At each step the sand immediately around your foot dries out and turns white. Why?
The popular answer, that your weight “squeezes the water out,” is incorrect; sand doesn’t behave like a sponge. So what does cause this?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Is it because your weight displaces the sand under your foot, causing the surrounding sand to rise above the water level of the beach, so the water drains out?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
It's because the weight of the foot on the sand renders the sand aroud it less compact. The grains of sand seperate allowing any water present to infiltrate better, drawn by gravity, result....the sand dries quicker.

Anything else I can help you with .? :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's because the weight of the foot on the sand renders the sand aroud it less compact. The grains of sand seperate allowing any water present to infiltrate better, drawn by gravity, result....the sand drys quicker.

What he said, but typed much better than I could've done

4:20 into this vid

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's because the weight of the foot on the sand renders the sand aroud it less compact. The grains of sand seperate allowing any water present to infiltrate better, drawn by gravity, result....the sand dries quicker.

A very concise answer indeed. Goatboy had right too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE