Quills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Would anyone happen to know a source for goose feathers?
It is for making quills so would need to be flight feathers.
I had a conversation today at a local education place where they do historical lessons and they have trouble getting hold of them apparently, I figure if anybody knew someone on here would! :You_Rock_

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
If they are for quills, you need the primary wing feathers from the correct wing to suit a right or left handed scribe. I saw this on "Tales From The Green Valley" and if you get the wrong side it will tickle your nose as you write. I think it was right wing for right handers, so they curled over your arm.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I was hoping there may be a goose farmer on here thats why I asked!
You are right about the primary feathers and the handedness, I read somewhere that the right hand feathers used to be more expensive for that reason.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
How many were you looking for?

I was given some recently so I could try and cut my own fletchings

I've been promised more but don't know when or how many

Sure I could spare a few but I haven't got a vast amount and couldn't do it with any regularity
If that's of any help whatsoever?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
It’s not a regular pay for source but I go to our local nature reserve on a regular basis and there are well over 50+ swans in the summer and close to 200 in the winter the pickings for flight feathers are very good and I regularly come home with a very big hand full there should be some big ponds up your way that have populations like the one I visit not a great help but its an idea

James

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
If you want to get your own ....here is what to do. :rolleyes:

The geese in this country UK...moult in July . :eek:

If you visit any large lake that has geese..... you will find loads of primary feathers on the down wind side of the lake. :D

I go to the lakes in the Peak District and get bags of them mostly Canadian Geese.

There are also goose farms that will provide you with white ones for a small fee....especially at this time of the year..

How many do you want (to trade for) :lmao:

Turkey uills here

http://www.ostrichesonline.co.uk/sh...eather,turkey,quill-10-nat&session=366047652&

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE