Quicky Quinzy - Back garden Arctic circle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Had a day off today after a hectic week of driving folks around in the Landy at work, no chance of staying off even though the car and house were all snowed in. So the daughter and I have had a full on day playing in the snow, all for her benefit of course :rolleyes:

So after loads of sledging and a few snowballs, I set to making something that is a real treat to be able to do.. a quinzy. I last helped make one on my dream trip to Arctic Norway in 2006, and when I left there, I knew it would be a long time before I returned to that type of environment and level of snow due to one thing and another. Stepping out the back door and making a full size snow shelter (albeit without the sleeping platform) with our new type of proper winter is great and I can involve the family without spending a fortune.

The tracking, firecraft, driving, and trying out the warm clothing has been fun too.

It took 2.5 hrs to make including hollowing out, as the snow is so sticky due to the warmer temp overnight that it sticks to its self very well, and a tap with the shovel firms it up nicely for working straight away.

Started to curve the walls around the entrance for extra protection, I'll finish that off some more.

000_0607.jpg

Full length of body with sit up headroom for getting in and out the bivi easily and kit space to the side.

000_0610.jpg

000_0612.jpg

Yours truly, a tad damp as its trying to thaw here but going to sleep out in it tomorrow night when its either had a night to freeze up stronger or melted, if so I'll turn it into a snow trench.

000_0617.jpg

Just needs a vent in the roof, and a long burn candle setting up, then I'll throw in the sleeping gear and get my head down, cant wait. That's if The kids don't destroy it in the day!

Cheers, Addo :)

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Looks good Addo, will you need a raised area to sleep or to lower an area inside for the cold air ?.

Hope the weather holds for you to get to kip in it.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers, its been spitting (quick everyone in !!) since I started it this dinnertime, hope it turns to snow and gives it a nice dusting to fill the thin bits.
The one in Norway was great as it snowed a lot, so we used the outside of the door as a water supply for brews by scooping the billy can into the side.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks good Addo, will you need a raised area to sleep or to lower an area inside for the cold air ?.

Hope the weather holds for you to get to kip in it.

Ideally yes, but its still a good shelter with modern sleeping gear including a closed cell mat and thermarest. Its a bit lower near the door, ran out of snow to make it larger. Reindeer hide would have been nice, best get tanning those deer hides in the freezer.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
looks great addo, i think i might have to go for a wander tomorrow and find somewhere to have a go at building one of those.

cheers

stuart

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Just getting ready for tonight, woodburners on in the house just in case :rolleyes:
See you in the morning, I hope!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
All ready to Rock, I'm decked out in wool with and a nice down bag, bivi and a couple of mats.

000_0641.jpg

Night night - effect only, don't want to roll on it! :)

000_0633.jpg

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
A had a great nights sleep, too warm at one point so I took my jumper off and opened the baffles a bit. Then woke up before Six O'clock needing to answer the call, so thought I'd better get up as Im going to work in about 30 mins. It was a bit cooler then in the bag but very comfortable.

Stars were out when I went to bed and got up, and we've had a good frost this morning, definitely felt warmer by a few degrees in the shelter.

Great fun, glad I did it.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
That look like it was plenty of fun to make! Pity its all melting away in my corner of the UK...I never got chance to have a go. Looks great.

Cheers Paul, This shelter was trying to melt while I was making it, luckily its frosted over the last two nights which saved it, but Its a different shape and size to the original now. Makes getting dressed in the morning a challenge :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Its -9 and dropping on the thermometer out back, had a job getting the landy doors open this morning and ive ordered some decent thermal fishing boots to sort my feet out. This is bonkers weather. Going for the softie option tonight, sofa, TV, and a beer, with the logburner on. :D

Its -9 and dropping on the thermometer out back, had a job getting the landy doors open this morning and ive ordered some decent thermal fishing boots to sort my feet out. This is bonkers weather. Going for the softie option tonight, sofa, TV, and a beer, with the logburner on. :D

Ditto mate, mine is purring away at about 400 degrees, all the interior doors are open to spread the heat around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE