Quickie E shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Hi
Just a few thoughts on a cheap throwaway emergency tarp.

Got some 2m by 3m polythene and wondered how it would stack up as a quickie tarp for just a few quid.
At the apex half way along the 3m length I stuck a run of duct tape full width for reinforcement.
Fixed light woven nylon guy lines to each corner for pegging and two loops at each end of the apex so a rope can fit through to be tied - e.g. to two trees or anything else.
Reinforce corners front and back with duct tape with a short piece of heavy guage wire sandwiched between.
The guy line loops around this wire - (stops it pulling through under strain.)

Tested it on a windy coast. Noisy but it held together all night. Do until you spend more money.
Packs down to around 4"X6" in a draw string bag.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
All the stuff was just stuff I had around the house. But polythene sheet - mmm ....I guess under 5 quid.
Please forgive me but I've never posted anything on this forum with photos yet.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
All the stuff was just stuff I had around the house. But polythene sheet - mmm ....I guess under 5 quid.
Please forgive me but I've never posted anything on this forum with photos yet.

Aye, poly sheeting is really flexible stuff I've used it way more than any other material to improvise shelter, got into using it out in the french alps to create large tent porches etc for sitting and cooking under, usually with a few tents opening into it. Not my idea but something learned from the more seasoned alpine gypsies and something thats stuck with me.

10 15 years back I bought a full roll of mid weight poly sheeting and I've only just finished the last of it, well I still have quite a few usable pieces but the roll's now finished. Been using it in the garden to knock up cloaches (mini poly tunnels) for tomatoes etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE