Quick intro.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

AndyB101

New Member
Oct 7, 2026
2
2
68
Tirley Glos
Bit of an introduction.
I’m Andy, based on North Gloucestershire. I’ve taken on 4 acres of part sort of ancient woodland and part 20 year old planting. Both patches have been left unmanaged. The older part of the wood has been left for 35 years, the new planting hasn’t been touch since the day the last tree was heeled in.
I start the thinning tomorrow.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HorseGuy
Bit of an introduction.
I’m Andy, based on North Gloucestershire. I’ve taken on 4 acres of part sort of ancient woodland and part 20 year old planting. Both patches have been left unmanaged. The older part of the wood has been left for 35 years, the new planting hasn’t been touch since the day the last tree was heeled in.
I start the thinning tomorrow.
welcome andy and enjoy x
 
Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

I have managed ancient semi natural woodland for over 30 years. If you have just taken responsibility for this bit of wood the most important advice I can give you is STOP, do nothing, until you have carried out a biodiversity survey and assessed what your woodland contains. The only exception to that advice is if there are dangerous conditions that need addressing before you do anything else.

You may find some useful ideas here:
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE