Quick FGYT Whittler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I bought a nice little whittler blade from Duncan at the WG. I also got given a few nice chunks of seaasoned Rosewood.

I mixed them together in a pudding basin with some leather, thread, edge black, shellac, neatsfoot oil, some more rosewood, a pinch of gum tradicanth & a dash of 2 Ton epoxy...

...kneed into a dough, sculpt & bake at low heat for two days...

Whittler_01.JPG

Whittler_02.JPG

It's nowt pretty but very simple, drilled a hole, filled it with 2ton epoxy & hammered the blade home.

Whittler_03.JPG

Whittler_04.JPG

Whittler_05.JPG

Whittler_06.JPG

Whittler_07.JPG

Whittler_08.JPG

My first 'composite' sheath with a rosewood tip - yeah it looks like a lipstick (...or worse).

I should have used the same piece of wood as the handle so it matches. I think I'd prefer a darker leather too. Still, lots learned.

The leather didn't shrink that much after wet forming so the friction fit around the tip was not quite secure enough on its own, I glued it to the wood. The edge dye bled a little around the top too.

Painted the inside with shellac to harden it up & gave the whole thing a good drenching with neatsfoot oil. I'll wax it in a few days time...

Ta!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i like that a lot mate, simple, neat, practical and nicely executed. good work.

that sheath does look a lot like my mates dog though!

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE