question: how to make a "" silent "" whistle...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dogs are a joy. Much more so than humans sometimes! :)
You sound totaly smitten with your little four legged bundle of fur.

Can you get the sort of leash I was on about where you are? They are so handy both for heel control and "long lining "

i'm indeed smitten with my little munchkin -- in turn she's happy to have me around, too. you should have seen her today when i returned after being out all day (she has a decent-sized yard for running) -- she almost knocked me over jumping up to greet me...

i'll check it the pet store has the type of leash you mentioned next time i'm in stinktown, at the moment i'm using 5m ordinary rope (short on footpaths and along roads, long where possible)

I assume the silent whistles operate with a Hertz above the human hesring, so above 20 K.
To be frank I think it would be very difficult to make one.

I do not know much about instruments, but the vibrating bit must be very thin?

i'm trying to "hunt down" since ages how to calculate the frequency (has to do with length and diameter of chamber) but so far without success....:(:(

i've been putting the advice from this thread to good use and now it's "" hang on! i'll just chew for a minute on that stinky bone i just found and then slowly head towards you! "" instead of no reaction when i want my munchkin to come to me:biggrin:

i'm also short of printing "" i know she's a hunting dog but we are not hunting pacas*) on my t-shirts as the locals frequently pester me with likewise remarks:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: a few days ago some slightly inebriated guy even wanted my dog to get his bitch pregnant (""sorry, buddy -- but my dog is a girl... "":laugh::biggrin::laugh: )

*paca == a large good-tasting jungle rodent which is popular with hunters (and consequently rather rare)

Reactions: santaman2000

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The basic frequency of a one close ended whistle is f=343/(4*L) where 343 is the speed of sound at 20C, 4 is about 4, L=length of pipe. If the pipe is not very short the correction for diameter is not very much, one adds 0.61*r to the length where r is the radius (inside) of the tube. The frequency is there, I would think that the real problem is to be sure that the whistle actually whistles. I used to make certain that my guitar is properly tuned by running a FFT program in my laptop, just might work here too.

Or the easy solution, go to a hunting shop and by one ultrasonic dog whistle. :D

A consistent system of units should be used, I recommend the SI.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The basic frequency of a one close ended whistle is f=343/(4*L) where 343 is the speed of sound at 20C, 4 is about 4, L=length of pipe. If the pipe is not very short the correction for diameter is not very much, one adds 0.61*r to the length where r is the radius (inside) of the tube. The frequency is there, I would think that the real problem is to be sure that the whistle actually whistles. I used to make certain that my guitar is properly tuned by running a FFT program in my laptop, just might work here too.

Or the easy solution, go to a hunting shop and by one ultrasonic dog whistle. :D

Which frequency is the optimal for dogs?

that sounds somewhat complicated to calculate...:meh::smuggrin:

no hunting shops here -- while people here still go hunting it's not exactly legal...(it's possible to get a firearms licence, though -- folks who can't afford one and still have to put food on the table use homemade shotguns where the firing pin gets "propelled" with a rubber band )

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you pm me your full address I could send you a propper dog whistle if you feel you realy want one. Making one sounds an awful lot of hassle to get the right pitch.
Sometimes my Gmail plays up and I don't get a message straight away but touch wood it's working at the moment.
I would not be looking for payment. Just want to see your pup safe.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The simplest way to make a whistle out of human hearing range (which is what the OP wants so that others don't hear him) is to make one that you can hear (and so know works well) then shorten it a little at a time (resealing the end each cut) until you just can or can't hear it.

It's still very frustrating when the dog doesn't respond - you can't tell if the whistle is working or the dog is ignoring you - hence why I prefer a sonic one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE