Question about what to use to make a fire on?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Ok so I'm just a little unsure. After having always pretty much used things that lift of the ground (be it a gas, hexi or some other type of kit like a kelly kettle and trangia type stoves) and a few other options I am wanting to buy these...

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/reversable-cast-iron-griddle-p-968.html and http://www.ronniesunshines.com/reversable-cast-iron-griddle-p-968.html and perhaps a Dutch oven.

Only thing I am wondering is I don't and wouldn't want to light a fire on the ground or be at risk of scorching it and such. So I am seeking advice on what to use to make the fire on. I have seen collapsible bowls but most of them I am not sure if they will make a wide enough one.

I have something a little like this that I have inherited from family that used to go everywhere with us when we were younger but it is quite weighty and I'm looking to see if there are alternatives.

What I am looking for can't stand very tall as the overall height of the grill I am looking at is 9.5 inches but still needs to be tall enough so I can use it to it's best.

Thanks for looking and I hope you can help me.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
How good are you with an angle grinder? If handy get a jerry can and make that into an altar fireplace.

I also use some 10mm rebar bent into 2 rests which I cross with angle iron. Anything higher and I make a tripod up

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i make fire on bear earth all the time, all i do is remove the top layer of grass and place away from the heatupside down, i have never had a problem with this at all.....once thats done just dig down a little way to keep the wood and ash in the same place and from rolling around........

place the griddle over the the top, just use the earth to support it.........

or if you really are against it, try asking if anyone can make you a fire box that will flat pack, that way it takes up no room and is safe easy to slot together......

cant find the thread but it is here some place........

hope this helps...

chris..

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've been looking to solve the same issue. I have a some fishing lakes in France and often camp there...I need to light a fire, but as I also have customers paying to fish who are not allowed ot light fires I have a bit of a problem. I allow barbacues though and have found this small BBQ in a camping shop which is low, and big enough to light a fire on boil water and cook a quick meal, as well as keep me warm...all this without breaking my own house rules...
bbq.jpg

cheers
Gareth

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
i make fire on bear earth all the time, QUOTE]

I guess that is "bear grills" then?

Sorry - couldn't resist.... :D

I found a cheapo BBQ in a charity shop which I will now use until it falls apart (not too long by the look of it...) but in the past I have used a Quality Street tin with 3 legs from hammered, drilled and bent tent poles held on with wing nuts..... Quality (street) fire tub when a bit of sand or earth is put in the tin as a burning base. - a couple of long steel tent pegs made the pan supports.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Last edited:

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
I do like the look/idea of a collapsible fire box although something like that BBQ would also work.

Never used an angle grinder myself mesquite.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hello, if you know someone who can weld , get a steel wheel rim from a scrap yard approx £5 and get them to weld 3 legs on it and you have an instant fire place or bbq if you add a mesh top job done if youre close to stafford il make one for you

nenook

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Look for 'Son of Hibachi' (even sold on Amazon).

It's really a BBQ that can double up as a stove (in a well ventilated space) but we tend to throw logs on it on camp sites that only allow BBQs. It's cast metal so will last a lot longer than sheet steel BBQs but does cost more to start with.

If you're allowed a propper fire, just remove the turf and follow the instructions elsewhere in this forum :)

Regards,

Andy

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Thanks folks!

I do know someone who can weld actually nenook so perhaps an idea.

Ian, what is the stove propped up on on your first picture and what stoves are those you are using under them? I like to have choices, I really enjoy cooking and if I could I'd have one of every cooker/stove and pots/pans and so on though it would just be space and such. When I make my millions maybe.. :(

Just taken a look at the Son of Hitachi, think i have heard of them before but never known anyone to get an opinion of them. Yeah I'm not adverse to a proper fire as long as I know I'm not going to make the world burn or smoulder and it's all allowed too, though I must admit I don't think there are many places near me that let you.

garethw

Settler

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ian, what is the stove propped up on on your first picture and what stoves are those you are using under them?

The griddle is supported by four 12" rock pegs. They're very good as you can easily set up your griddle dead-level; a handy thing if you want to do pancakes or some such.
The stoves are 2 Primus No.210, one pint pressure paraffin stoves . They look slightly different but they are effectively the same.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE