Question about camping in New Zealand...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I'm trying to find out what sort of sleeping system would be best in New Zealand. I'll be in the South Island (Christchurch) and North Island (Boundary Stream) mostly.

Would a tent be best due to poisinous reptiles/insects, or would a tarp and bivybags/groundsheets under it suffice?

Any info is much appreciated. :)

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I've never been there, but I was under the impression that, unlike Australia where just about anything that moves can give you a poisonous bite :yikes: , New Zealand didn't have anything particularly venomous among its animal / insect / reptile population.

Anyone else know better :dunno: ?

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
When you get off the plane in NZ you will notice the vegetation is lush and green - there is a very good reason for that - it rains ! Although the climate is predominately maritime there is reasonable variation as you travel up and down the islands - its a long way from top to bottom. Big seasonal difference with the weather often becoming scorchio after Xmas. N Island has a lot of bush. It is wetter in the West and North. S Island has bigger variation from bush in the North to mountainous terrain and year round snow in the S Alps. The area around Christchurch is actually very flat and dry being in a rain shadow E of the Alps. A bivvy bag and tarp should be fine if you can hack that in the UK climate. There are no natural nasties apart from a few dodgy spiders you might see in a dark 'long drop' see http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/0/a4e65bc46e3e9c38cc256d750010f8fb?OpenDocument.

You will need mossie repellant especially if you end up in Fiordland where blackflies will eat the skin off your bones.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Thanks for the information guys!

Glad to hear that. :headbang:

I plan on stocking up on more Deet, even though I have some already.

IMac

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 22, 2005
London/Surrey
Mate, we have a couple of poisonous spiders here but they are so rare that if you get bitten by them you will be come a national celebrity! There are no snakes, reptiles or predator type animals.

As mentioned the dreaded sandlfy will cause you irritation but can easily be defeated with any deet based product. Don’t worry about bringing in heaps as you will be able to buy it in any tramping or hunting shop. As for tents, bivvys or flys. I'd suggest a bivvy bag, a self supporting fly and a good thermarest type sleeping mat. You might well be camping above the bushline in tussock where there are no trees to secure a hoochie to which is why a self supporting fly or a light weight tent is needed. I have been holed up in the rain for 3 days unable to cross a river, being under a hoochie would have been no fun, it was miserable enough in the tent. The lesson learnt from that, take lots of tea bags as I ran out and started recycling! I have a tent that has a waterproof outer and an inner with built in groundsheet. I leave the inner at home to save weight and pitch the fly which pegs down. I usually carry my bivvy bag and if I am confident that it is not going to rain, just use that under the stars. The milky way in the southern hemisphere with it’s clean air and lack of light pollution is a sight to behold and can keep you awake for hours just gazing at it.

If you are going into the wilderness you must must must buy a NZ compass, don’t bring one from the UK as they don’t work properly and you will need to get a 1:50,000 map for the area where you are going, again available from any outdoor / hunting shop.
Check out www.doc.govt.nz for info on back country walks and hut and www.mountainsafety.org.nz for info about safety in the mountain funnily enough

There is a fantastic network of DOC huts through out the NZ back country that do have a small cost associated with staying in them, you can buy a season pass for a pittance and away you go. The huts usually have communal bunks (don’t get excited, there is no such thing as a sexy tramper!) a bench, wood fire if in the bush and gas if above the bush. 90% of them are fantastic and the remainder have “character” get in and use them.

There is no drama about carrying a knife/axe openly in the bush, don’t do it in the cities though. Don’t be surprised if you meet up with people with firearms at a hut, they are hunters and are the salt of the earth. Say hello and introduce yourself.

Now to the deadliest element of NZ. It is the changeable weather the associated risk of hypothermia. I suspect that you will be as prepared as the best of them so it shouldn’t be a problem but if you are staying in a hut and decide to go for a day hike (called a tramp or the verb tramping) do not be tempted to dress lightly in shorts and a tee shirt. That is a recipe for getting caught out and at best becoming wet and cold, at worst becoming dead and costing the taxpayer many $1000s in you search and rescue – or body recovery! That and river crossings, most tracks have bridges or three wires but on occasion you might be off track and have to wade across. Be very careful, some rivers are deceptively deep, fast and cold enough to make you gasp. Cut a length of sapling and use it as a 3rd leg.

Ohh and finally, make sure any equipment you bring into NZ is spotlessly clean and disinfected especially anything that comes in contact with the ground like boots and tents. I’d also leave any wooden utensils you have made at home, they could get confiscated at the border or you get charged to have them irradiated.

Hope you have a great trip, spend lots of money and help our economy

Mac

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
good point about clean boots - last time out I explained I live on a farm and the nice man at AKL airport scrubbed up my boots the best they have been for years !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE