Question about braided walking stick handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hi,
I have a stick I prepared for my daughter and I wanted to add a grippy handle out of either braided leather or paracord.
But what I was wondering is, is there a best way to secure it so that the braiding doesn't slip with repeated use?
I'd rather not use any glues as the stick will (hopefully) be used in warm weather in the summer and I don't want her getting gunk on her hands when it melts.
What's bothering me is getting a neat and tidy finish to the two ends, so I wondered about maybe drilling a hole at each end and finishing through them with a decent, thick knot which might not look great but would at least be secure.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance,
Steve

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Sieze the ends of your braiding/ coachwhipping to the stick with stout twine then work a couple of turks heads to cover the ends

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Or you can back plait the whole handle bite, this is a very slight variation to the turks head.

Topknot

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
depends how long a braid you want - if its just as long as her hand then a long turk or pineapple knot is probably the best thing to use - the handle I braided in the thread after yours needed 36 strings of 3mm width or 18 bights - see here for a pattern - http://data.oreilly.com/knots?parts=25&bights=18&coding=1&submit=Submit+Query - .

If you've don't know how to use those patterns then you could try this but without the fancy pattern and just braid under 2 over 2 - http://www.mtn-m.co.uk/web_components/pdf_files/Making braided Knife handle and sheath.pdf.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hmm, thanks for your replies guys. I'm thinking braiding the leather around the handle might be a bit too much and that I might be best to just soak it and tight-wind it around in a single layer. I've got some nice 2mm round leather thong which will work nicely, now I just need to work out how to secure it at either end. If I manage it, I'll post a pic. Thanks again.
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE