Question about Bannock (it is silly but please do not kick me for it!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

MitsosOSougi

Is this the right place to post this?

All my life it was "ad-boiled water" meals or MREs. I do not cook in city life and that is one of the reasons I never tried to cook in the country.

BUT Bannock looks interesting so I want to give it a go. The problem (please don't laugh):

What is suet and how do I get it?

I know, I know but help a brother out ...

Edit: English is not my native language (I think that is obvious).

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
As blagged from google :

Suet
Found in beef, sheep and other animals, suet is the solid white fat found around the kidneys and loins. Many British recipes call for it to lend richness to pastries, puddings, stuffings and Mincemeat. Suet was once widely used to make tallow candles

or

Vegetarian suet is made from fat such as palm oil combined with rice flour. It resembles shredded beef suet, and is used as a substitute in recipes.

Both can be had from any supermarket.

Have fun with the cooking !! :)

M

MitsosOSougi

So do I just ask for "Suet" in the local Tesco?

Thank you for your rapid responce!

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
It'll be on the shelf somewhere, if you feel like exploring ;)
Or you an ask :)
You can get it premixed as well with the flour to make dumplings too...Which is nice :D

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
It is sold in blue and yellow (I think) boxes under the name brand name ATORA.
Probably in the homebaking section of a Supermarket. If you go to Traditional butchers and ask for SUET if they dont give you ATORA then they will probably give you a lump of fat held together with fine membranes. To prepare it you can cool it in a fridge or freezer and then grate it on a coarse cheese grater discarding the membranes.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Don't know if you realise but you don't actually need suet to make bannock...

Try this, all measured with the same spoon:

8 Flour
2 Suger
1 baking soda
1/2 salt

Mix the dry stuff and then slowly add a little water at a time to make a dough. When the dough is ready add a pack of rasins and then cook it. You can also add a little rum instead when you add the water to get a nice "rum and rasin" bannock....mmmmmm :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
MitsosOSougi,
In the same section of your local supermarket, will also be pre-mixed packets of bread - these make a good base for experimenting, either alone or by adding some dried fruits etc.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
MitsosOSougi said:
Is this the right place to post this?

All my life it was "ad-boiled water" meals or MREs. I do not cook in city life and that is one of the reasons I never tried to cook in the country.

BUT Bannock looks interesting so I want to give it a go. The problem (please don't laugh):

What is suet and how do I get it?

I know, I know but help a brother out ...

Edit: English is not my native language (I think that is obvious).

Well, here comes my recept which works all the time.
Suet or no suet it will work just fine. Instead of suet you can take butter, oil

10 heaped spoonfuls of flour
1 level spoonful of baking powder
2 spoonfuls of sugar
1/8 – 1/2 of a spoonful of salt
*A spoon being the size of spoon you have with you but deemed to be roughly tablespoon size)

Mix the above ingredients allowing as much air as possible to enter the mix. When ready slowly add water and work this in little by little. For a bannock, you will want a round cannon ball of quite stiff dough.

Grease a cooking pot with melted suet or whatever you have at hand and place the dough inside. Turn often as it easily burns black.

This recept never failed me and the only mistake you can do is to take to much water in the beginning but still I managed to get good bannock out of it when I did it myself wrong in the beginning.

cheers
Abbe

M

MitsosOSougi

Thanx for the help guys!

I think I will try it in my kitchen before I rely on it for the wild.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
wanderinstar said:
Abbe,
How do you cook this on an open fire. Seem to remember RM doing this, did he use a flat stone tilted at an angle. How long do you cook for?
Ian.

Ray tilted the frying pan with the bannock at an angle against the fire.
You can fry them too over ember or a hot stone. You have to watch them turning them around and around not to burn, they burn easily. I was reading that a good bannock should fry at least 20 min very slowly. You will have to experiment with the heat, letting the ember cool down a bit for that timeframe. Mine are very fast ready and sometimes burned a bit, I scrape it off with the knife then.

cheers
Abbe

stevem

Oct 2, 2005
suffolk
bambodoggy said:
Don't know if you realise but you don't actually need suet to make bannock...

Try this, all measured with the same spoon:

8 Flour
2 Suger
1 baking soda
1/2 salt

Mix the dry stuff and then slowly add a little water at a time to make a dough. When the dough is ready add a pack of rasins and then cook it. You can also add a little rum instead when you add the water to get a nice "rum and rasin" bannock....mmmmmm :D
i used this recipe this weekend my friends enjoyed it so much it is very versitile we finished the mix off by turning it into pancakes

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
just made my first bannock. roughly to abbes recipe but without salt and two spoons of dried egg. the reason for the egg was for some raisins that i havent got but eggs where in so hey ho ( next time i'll check ive got all the ingredients first :11doh:) used about 11 1/2 spoons of flour on accounts i used more water than i meant to :( . took about 15 mins in frying pan on the gas cooker lowest heat and kept turning over. result!!! not a bad outcome could be a bit tastier. next time rum 'n' raisin me thinks. so what i'm saying is have a go if it turns out bad. its only flour and water after all and practice is what its all about .hey my 2nd one might be a wash out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE