query about seasoning Ash for bow staves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
One of the Ash trees at my permission has fallen over in the winds we had earlier this year.
next week I've got sometime off so I intend to go up and process it into firewood and other stuff.
theres a portion of the tree which looks to my inexperienced eyes as suitable to make into bows.

my question is......
would I be better leaving it in the whole (just cut the log to size and leave alone) or split it into staves now to allow it to season before I start working on the bow?

I may also make a few other bits out of the tree but the Bow is definitely the main idea bar firewood

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Me personally I'd split it down leaving as much as i could at the ends to give a sacrificial bit that may split and store it somewhere out of the direct elements and temperature stable ish. :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yes definitely split it and remove the bark. Leaving the ends long is a good idea and sealing them with something like pva glue helps reduce end checks.

I did a bunch of staves a while back and it was surprising that a few were quite twisted on splitting and would be a git to make into a bow, best to find this out before you go storing a whole trunk!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If its not still green/alive I wouldnt bother at all sorry mate.
Ash starts to rot days after its been down. Some woods can handle this but ash is not one of them.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I work my ash bows from green to about 12 months old. Always stored outdoors. My logs are between 8-12 inches diameter and 8 ft long.

Made s couple of ash bows recently out of older wood one failed and the other had to have an asymmetric tiller due to a weakness in the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE