Quality Wool Sweaters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There are several shops in both the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales selling hand made (spun, knitted etc) wool jumpers - there nice but expensive.

i've got 3 wool ones :

an Arran that my mother knitted my father 30+ years ago (he sulk when she made his younger brother one when he went to sea) that is still as new but much to warm.

an total hand made & dyed one I was given. t made from Herdwick wool so its a bit course but is very warm, hard wearing and water repellent - go to the Lakes and invest in a hand made Herdwick jumper (with the lanoline still in).

3rd a is a Rainbow stripped heavy wool (not quite yak hair) one from Nepal that my friend got me, warm hard wearing and silly - you can get similar from most "hippy" shops for about £30.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
brucemacdonald said:
Looks to me like they are "in between" sites. I did have their address somewhere but I can't find it. They are based in St Austell if that is any help.

Best wishes

Bruce

Thanks I will keep an eye on the new site.

Bill

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
brucemacdonald said:
This is the last site they had, but it is down:

http://www.traditionalcornishknitwear.mcmail.com/

And this looks like their new site, though nothing is there yet:

http://www.souwestchunkies.com/

Looks to me like they are "in between" sites. I did have their address somewhere but I can't find it. They are based in St Austell if that is any help.

Best wishes

Bruce

Liz was checking the internet today, and we found the Sou'West Chunkies site back up and running at:

http://www.souwestchunkies.com/

Good service, good product and exceptionally good value for money; £20-28 for a pure wool sweater made to measure.

Best wishes

Bruce

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Thanks for the reminder Bruce. I remembered your top at Ashdown. It looked lovely and warm. I just didn't put it together with this thread. Maybe until we get to know everyone better we should label our kit with the relevant thread title :eek:):

Cheers,

Martin

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Looks like Souwest chunkies is the place for me.... Do Filson think of a price and then move the decimal point ?? Way way outta my league. If I was to pay £100 for a jumper i'd want it to make camp, take me to the pub and buy my beer all night !!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
maddave said:
If I was to pay £100 for a jumper i'd want it to make camp, take me to the pub and buy my beer all night !!

You could buy a few sheep with that I reckon, then you could have have lots of wool jumpers, a few lamb burgers, and something warm to snuggle up to at night... :wink:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
maddave said:
Looks like Souwest chunkies is the place for me.... Do Filson think of a price and then move the decimal point ?? Way way outta my league. If I was to pay £100 for a jumper i'd want it to make camp, take me to the pub and buy my beer all night !!
Laddie my Devold jumper was three times that... and worth it too :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE