Proper wool blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Does anybody know where to get a proper wool blanket from?

In my head it's a 100% wool, thick probably surplus military blanket.... I've seen quite a few online but I can't tell which would be quality and which wouldn't.

If you can point me in the direction of a good, budget wool blanket I'd appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Reactions: wookii

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Leka had some but things come and go with surplus. Apparently some are 100% synthetic, some a mixture, some pure wool.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sadly, 100% wool and budget don't exactly go hand in hand.

The Dutch army wool blankets are probably the best but they're extremely rare now and command a very high price. The Italian Army blankets are anything between a 90% wool, 10% synthetic down to a 55% wool 45% Synthetic blend but again are hard to find.

Wynchester have some Italian Navy 100% wool blankets but they're £119 + p&p but you'll get top notch quality from them.

If you're happy with a 55% / 45% blended blanket there's this on Amazon at the moment for a reasonable price

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Sadly, 100% wool and budget don't exactly go hand in hand.

The Dutch army wool blankets are probably the best but they're extremely rare now and command a very high price. The Italian Army blankets are anything between a 90% wool, 10% synthetic down to a 55% wool 45% Synthetic blend but again are hard to find.

Wynchester have some Italian Navy 100% wool blankets but they're £119 + p&p but you'll get top notch quality from them.

If you're happy with a 55% / 45% blended blanket there's this on Amazon at the moment for a reasonable price
Thanks for the pointers! I'll check them out.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Our local charity shop has some for £5 - well used and a slightly stained cream colour .... I would not recommend these blankets for every use but in the past I have had 100% merino double bed sized blankets for less than £10! Check out charity shops first!
I'll be scouring the local charity shops as soon as I get back from holiday!

Would you recommend those £5 blankets for occasional bushcraft use John?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Our local charity shop has some for £5 - well used and a slightly stained cream colour .... I would not recommend these blankets for every use but in the past I have had 100% merino double bed sized blankets for less than £10! Check out charity shops first!
Little tip on the charity shop front, don't go to any that support animal charities. The ones round my way ear mark all the blankets for pet bedding.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Varusteleka have new 80/20 MountainHill blankets for £40.

Petromax bought out RoughStuff and now make 100% wool blankets, but ~£150.

Reactions: GoatBoy666

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Little tip on the charity shop front, don't go to any that support animal charities. The ones round my way ear mark all the blankets for pet bedding.
Actually the best collection I have seen was in a dog rescue place.... the Merino was in Barnardos...
I have made £5 scores into cloaks, linings and shirts and they worked fine but if I use one for tailored items rather than as blankets I can generally cut around the worst stains/thin patches and dye them to help hide more minor stains (I use tea and/or coffee to dye wool).
I have been told that fleece marker dyes from sheep farm supplies make interesting dye patterns on stained blankets but have yet to try this :)
As to usage of a cheap blanket ... it all depends on the quality of the blanket and how good the deal is ... sometimes you get a real beauty for next to nowt, othertimes £5 buys you ... a dog blanket!

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Are there any woolen mills that still weave 100% wool blankets, Pendleton, Otterburn, Witney or whatever? There have to be some really old vintage blankets still about like my more than 60 year old blankets I still have from my first bed, if the moths don't get them they last forever.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Are there any woolen mills that still weave 100% wool blankets, Pendleton, Otterburn, Witney or whatever? There have to be some really old vintage blankets still about like my more than 60 year old blankets I still have from my first bed, if the moths don't get them they last forever.
Otterburn mill doesn't produce anything any more, it's just a shop selling craghoppers and wired fish clothing and some wool blankets that iirc were NOT locally manufactured

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Otterburn mill doesn't produce anything any more, it's just a shop selling craghoppers and wired fish clothing and some wool blankets that iirc were NOT locally manufactured

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Sign of the times unfortunately. How did we come to this state?

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I got a couple of the grey British ones from preppersshop.co.uk last week when they were on offer at 12.99 a piece but they appear to have only one left in stock. They have a few other types as well but they're dearer.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE