Quality Wool Sweaters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Besides the UK Woolly Pully 100% wool sweater, are there any other decent brands of wool sweaters...the thick, chunky heavy type that anyone can recommend? Does it make a difference between oiled and unoiled?
I once did get a garment using recycled wool and nylon...the sweater was itchy, stinky and was not at all that warm so beware of using recycled wool and buy decent quality.
Monk

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
army issue jumpers are wool, cheap, green and warm but a bit prone to pulled threads.

If you can get one I used to have a gernsey jumper which is oiled wool and very dense weave. I only got rid because I grew out of it. It was still as good as new. They can be expensive and there are cheap copies out there so be careful.

Bill

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The Aran sweaters are nice. I got mine from an irish import shop. Once I got done tripping over blackthorn sticks, shamrocks embedded in everything and these meat pies in tins there was a huge selection in both black and white. Then the lady said "Now dearie, what was your name? You know, each family had a different pattern. It helped identify bodies if they washed ashore." :sulk: Dachstein, a woolen preshrunk is very windproof and warm.I can only find mittens in it though.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Yerse, I had one of these things, donks ago.

It was a very expensive Christmas present, in 3 hues of DHSS green.
Clearly it was oiled with something , for it reeked terribly.

I kept it, and the smell, for quite some time, as it seemed to shrug off the combustible debris from my pipe, it was hellish hard to wash it properly and the stink never ever went.

Anyway, it happened that I really went off the scale, with the washing temp, and the whole thing shrank 3 sizes, thickened to around 3 inches and though still very warm, the only movement it would permit, was shallow yoga breathing.

seagull

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Hands down my absolute favorite quality wool sweater is my Green Filson Waterfowler.

711H.jpg

The oiled shawl and button neck make this the best cool/wet season sweater I have ever used. Not cheap but worth every shilling in a soft Merino wool so not scratchy and lasts forever.

http://www.filson.com/711.HTM

I am a rabid Filson fan.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
tenbears10 said:
If you can get one I used to have a gernsey jumper which is oiled wool and very dense weave. I only got rid because I grew out of it. It was still as good as new. They can be expensive and there are cheap copies out there so be careful.

Bill
Yep,
A good Gernsey or Jersy oiled woolly pully is hard to beat, then moving away from strictly jumpers there are all the nice warm woolies our Kiwi friends at Swanndri make.
Cheers
David

Aidan

Nov 29, 2004
Yorkshire
:p
Guernseys are extremely woolly and comfortable, as are Norwegian fishermen's sweaters, which are soft as well as warm and strong. I have several of each. However in my view nothing beats the ribbed 'woolly pully' military sweater.
Best Wishes,
Aidan

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Have to disagree with Viking I think Ullsfortte are pants - seriosuly so in fact.

Wooly jumpers - tried a swandri? not the shirts but the jumpers they make - they're good although you cant be a genuine army woollly pully for cost and wear!

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Schwert said:
Hands down my absolute favorite quality wool sweater is my Green Filson Waterfowler.

711H.jpg

The oiled shawl and button neck make this the best cool/wet season sweater I have ever used. Not cheap but worth every shilling in a soft Merino wool so not scratchy and lasts forever.

http://www.filson.com/711.HTM

I am a rabid Filson fan.

Great gear from Filson and Schwert is right it is of the highest quality, it may not be cheap but you are buying some of the best outdoor clothing that I have ever seen, indeed, I used my good ladys Filson chaps yesterday when I was hurdle making as it was pouring down http://www.filson.com/28.HTM :cry:

And I reckon this top http://www.filson.com/1305.HTM is better than the Arktis Antartic shirt.............and that is saying something :shock:

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I have a sweater from Sou'West Chunkies in Cornwall (and so does my wife).

Hand-made, good-quality traditional fisherman's pattern or Cornish Gansey pattern, available in a variety of colours so you need not look like Rambo. Despite this they are CHEAP :super: Mine was about £24.

Made to order and very fast and efficient service. Had mine for a couple of years. Like all woolies though, prone to having threads pulled out by branches and hedges.

I thoroughly recommend them. Their site seems to be down at the moment though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE