Q Please on New Zealand SAS windproof dpm smock..is this really ventile?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
While looking on that online marketplace I was looking at smock prices and I came across what was described as

a New Zealand SAS dpm windproof smock ...made out of Ventile!

I poked around a bit online and saw examples where it's been made in desert ventile and also the dpm pattern. The smock looks a bit different to the type of smock talked about here on the forum. I am aware of how sellers tend to gloss up their products sometimes so I thought I would ask the voices of experience here.

Questions please,

is this really Ventile fabric?

has anyone here in the know ever tried out one of these garments and can give feedback on it?

Are there any other Ventile garments floating around in far off corners of the world that are worth checking out?

Thanks.
Monk

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
there is a seller on ebay who lists windproof smocks and ventile windproof smocks, both new zealand army, so maybe there is a difference, and i have been tempted myself.
the british also did some ventile dpm smocks early on, but the cost! oh the horror!

anyway, they stopped all that nonesence and they are uber rare now. maybe the new zealand SAS are more highly valued by their government and thus warrant nice flashy kit that works.

i have to say, i love my standard windproofs, but ventile, its the finest windproof layer i have ever used, i'm not sure i'm on the same page as everyone else who says its very waterproof and i'm not a fan of the stiffening up of the material but i know this is a vital part of the waterproofing. each to their own.

if you can ask the seller how they can certify the ventile-ness of the product, why not go for it.

sorry i cant be of more help, but i havent taken the £100 plus plunge on the item, though may still have a punt!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
the british also did some ventile dpm smocks early on, but the cost! oh the horror!

anyway, they stopped all that nonesence and they are uber rare now.

But they are superb! Still have mine - Arctic Windproof & Trousers. Such a shame they stopped making them but it's all polycotton and manmade fibres now.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
MInes an old Survival Aids SAS smock in Ventile. Awesome. Best windproof I've had.... I like the way its pretty waterproof with excellent breathability.

A

ashgtiturbo

The NZ kit is a lot better made than ours, I have a windproof in temperate DPM and i'm not sure if i'd say mine is Ventile, Its more of a Gaberdene material as used in the UK early 80's windproofs...Either way the early pattern UK smocks fetch around £100 in good condition so is a good compromise!

Its a good bit of kit, the one i have is a bit ropey around the edges now but it is a few years old!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Some Shots of the NZDF issue DPM Smock.

The Fabric is not Ventile its a very tightly woven 100% cotton Gaberdine like the original SAS / Arctic Windproofs.

The Style of the Jacket is a mix between the classic SAS windproof and a Soldier 95 style combat jacket. It's a single layer of fabric with a double hood and double layer on the shoulders.

The DPM is the NZDF pattern and tone ( think 80's style jungle DPM and you have a shade match) which is designed to work in NZ temperate climes...

IMG_1510.jpg

There are two zipped pockets behind the chest pockes which are huge big enough to take a map +++ note how the button on the rank tab is shrouded all of the buttons are like this.. not need to stick black maskers on your windproof buttons with this jacket..

IMG_1511.jpg

Also there is no velcro anywhere on the jacket so the wind flap on the fron uses these fasteners...

IMG_1512.jpg

All of the pockets feature the no loss flap thingy...

IMG_1513.jpg

Large FFD pocket on each arm...

IMG_1514.jpg

One of the problems with the old Arctic wind proof was the cuffs frayed in short order... Hence the reinforcing tape on the cuff on the NZ jacket...

IMG_1515.jpg

HTH

John

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Has got the old junglies look about it ,,yarrrrrrr
Aye... This smock a Norgie and HH hairy bear and a pair of Danners with a pair of 'jungle' combat trousers, and a well worn Munro and you have the Ally look ( 80's style)
i think i need to put some newspaper down! what a lovely exotic beauty! lovely smockage....
Ho ho That made me laugh...
Very gucci.
aye.. Interesting how stuff that in the UK is 10 a penny is seen as being Gucchi here... The issue Bergen for instance...

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Vector,

many thanks for taking the time to post pics and for the detailed explanations.

There's some clever features there on that garment-esp the tape on the cuff. I have always found that cotton garment cuffs tend to wear easily.

Thanks for clearing up the fabric content-that it's cotton Gaberdine, not Ventile as suggested by online sellers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE