Pyrography: Tools of the trade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 6, 2010
Devon/Bath
So I've recently re-kindled my love of pyrography after seeing some gourds pyrographed by Firecrest, and I was wondering if anyone else out there practiced it and could give me some advice?

What sort of tool should I get? The only affordable ones I can see online for purchase are the ones with the pen directly wired to the plug, with the dial on the pen.

Now I really don't know what I should be doing...which one do I buy?

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funny you should start this thread, as i spotted this in Lidl on Thursday, and thought it could be worth a go. Must state that I have never tried anything like this before, but seeing the tool in Lidl for not very much has got my interest up.

This link might work better.

I must say though, that I had one of those and found that it wasn't really very good because it didn't get hot enough for some woods, and also it was more difficult to control because you have to hold it quite far away from the tip.

I have one of these and find it's excellent. You can adjust the temperature up to 1100 degrees and it's very easy to hold. I think Firecrest said that she has the same one too.

Last edited:

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
I use a Draven machine which is excellent - id recommend a visit to the festival of the tree where you can chat to many pyrographers and have a close look at what they use and how (its a top day out also and not far away)

Aug 6, 2010
Devon/Bath
That sounds like a great day out to be honest! I think the Peter Childs
is too expensive for me now. But the Lidl one doesn't seem great either.

Do I need some with a temperature dial on the transformer? I've seen some on ebay which are somewhere in between, with a dial on the pen but no transformer?

Jun 28, 2010
Upstate NY
I've been using one of the cheap pyro pens for decorating my hiking sticks. I'm also looking to upgrade to something better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE