pvc bows???

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
There are lots of tutorials on YT how to do it ,I dont know if there waste pipe is different from ours as i have tried it and failed badly ,ours seems to be polypropylene !so it is not as easy as it looks lol

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
I've had a look at a few of these and would love to try it. There's one video where a guy uses fibreglass rods inside the PVC so it might be less prone to degradation.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
there are tutoriols on YT on just how to bend pvc there is one where u get sand and heat it up in the oven then pour it inside i think this would give a more even bend without kinking.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Not a material I would choose for a bow. PVC degrades under UV light and fails by shattering.

Z
wrap it in camo tape ,silk whatever !were not talking cometition bows here but looks like good inexpensive fun and by the looks of what that kid on YT has made very nice bows.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi BillyBlabe...What sort of bow would anyone recommend just for some back door 25 yard archery?

Just a cheap fibreglass recurve or flat bow whatever you like the look of best @around 35-45lb and some 11/32 wood shafts.

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Just fancy something to get me started really. I did archery at school, and would have loved to have taken it further, but that wasn't really an option at the time.

Now I'm older, I just like the idea of something I can have a play with out the back door and deep in the woods.

All suggestions very welcome :D

Edit to add -

What draw weight should I be looking for? Will I need a 70lb draw, more, less?
What sort of range will the recommended weight get me?
Any accesories?
Any bad suppliers to stay away from?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
70 lb draw is hard buddy u should try and draw some in a shop to see what suits u ?

I agree - I'm a fair size & even when I shot regularly a 65lb medieval longbow was a real strain (different & more modern bows will be less painful - but 70lbs is still a lot on 3 fingers....).

I'd be looking at a 30-40lb draw weight for shorter range fun shooting.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Thanks guys. I'm a big enough lad in terms of upper body but I accept that I'll be puffing like a fat bird on a treadmill if even experienced shooters find a 70lb hard going.

My worry is, I'd get that sexy wee 24lb one and be shooting at it's limits after a week. 40lb it is then. :)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln

get this one http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/product/1097/KB06+Quicks+TD01+Trainer+Bow+

nice and cheap if you're over 6 feet then get a 70 inch one, takes down for easy storage and they go up to 34 pounds which is more than enough, olympic bows don't go much over 30.
just because its cheap doen't make it naff by the way i was trained for my GNAS archery leader qual with one they're brilliant

matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE