Puukko wolverine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The Enzo D2 and IIRC the stainless have been known to chip when zero-ground, but strictly speaking the Enzos are not meant to be zero ground. My carbon Enzo came with a secondary microbevel which I've kept, and I've had no chipping whatsoever. D2 is a poor steel for zero-ground scandi.

Don't want to bust Josh's thread but D2 is a nightmare with chipping, I have had an enzo D2 chip aswell but thats more to do with the steel rather than the knife , never had that problem with the O1 or ss versions.
And as Eraaij says, get the blade, make your own knife..perfect solution.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Don't want to bust Josh's thread but D2 is a nightmare with chipping, I have had an enzo D2 chip aswell but thats more to do with the steel rather than the knife , never had that problem with the O1 or ss versions.
And as Eraaij says, get the blade, make your own knife..perfect solution.

id agree, D2 chips like hell, even with a microbevel... Put a zero grind on D2 and its gonna chip under normal use....

o1 is a far superiour steel IMO, edge retention isnt everything.

the steel that the kellam uses is very tough .8% high carbon, ive never had any problems with it under hard use..

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
yeah the differential temp wouldn't have helped. I was carving rainforest wood, which is pretty soft. Think I'll put the secondary bevel back on. It carves amazingly without it, but I'd prefer it to be a little more resilient.

leon-1

The Wolverine is a nice little knife, I remember looking at them when they originally hit these shores.

The Lauri PT and PTX blades are very good so the make your own idea is a valid one.

One thing that I don't understand is why nobody (until now) has mentioned Brusletto, I have one that has never chipped, it's been all around the world, I've owned since 1991 (I bought it in Dover) and never had a problem with it, the steel is 12c27 so highly resistant to rust and holds an edge as well as any other knife that I own, including custom knives.

Have a look at the troll and the granbit

Another option is to stick with the Mora, but move onto something like the Mora Classic or the Mora Classic Original. The No'1 is a good little knife.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Wolverine is a nice little knife, I remember looking at them when they originally hit these shores.

The Lauri PT and PTX blades are very good so the make your own idea is a valid one.

One thing that I don't understand is why nobody (until now) has mentioned Brusletto, I have one that has never chipped, it's been all around the world, I've owned since 1991 (I bought it in Dover) and never had a problem with it, the steel is 12c27 so highly resistant to rust and holds an edge as well as any other knife that I own, including custom knives.

Have a look at the troll and the granbit

Another option is to stick with the Mora, but move onto something like the Mora Classic or the Mora Classic Original. The No'1 is a good little knife.

Eh? Did someone say Brusletto? :)

brusletto1c.jpg

brusletto2d.jpg

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I just bought a Wolverine new from evilbay USA for £66.08.
I will have to wait a few weeks for it though (USPS First Class Mail International!).
Just got to tell my other half now :eek:

PREPER............ :)

leon-1

I will have to wait a few weeks for it though (USPS First Class Mail International!).

Good for you.

Eh? Did someone say Brusletto? :)

brusletto1c.jpg

brusletto2d.jpg

You did indeed, they are very underrated knives, but I love mine to bits, I was just thinking it's older than Josh:eek:.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Brustletto are indeed nice knives, and the steel is great too... One thing i had a problem with on my Balder was the Grinds are slighty out and acute, but theyre solid and i far prefer them to helle's.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Stuart the Mod, used to be Mr Kellam UK IIRC so he'd probably the man to talk to if you hadn't managed to find one.
For that sort of money you could buy a custom pukko or a selection of very nice blades to make your own.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Yes, he was dressing up for the boreal forest a couple of weeks ago.
Although he'd probably need the same kit for any UK forest at the moment.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'm fairly sure that i brought the last kellam wolverine that stuart the mod had for sale, i got one of the ones with numbered blades (124 i think, i'm not home at the moment so can't check). at the time when i got it from him he only had the one left and that only because the point of the blade had been broken off so he'd been unable to sell it, it actually took a little while to convince stuart to part with it.
took me a long evening to re-shape the point of the blade, i don't recall removing a secondary bevel at all but it certainly doesn't have one now. lovely knife in my opinion, good enough for me to give away my fallknivenF1. i'd definately recommend one.

cheers

stuart

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts

It came today (six days including the weekend), brand spankers, off to have a test!
It's from Paramount Outdoor Sporting Goods evilbay USA - A good quick service.

PREPER....... :)

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Nice one, im looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the knife :)

A short review.

I have given the knife a good 'testing' over the last week.
I compared it against a stainless steel Clipper and a brand new carbon Mora 740.

My choice would be:

1st - The Wolverine a clearly quality knife with an impressively razor sharp edge. It is now my favourite knife.
2nd - The Mora 740, a close second, especially at its low price. The Mora is like an old girlfriend, good while it lasted but sometimes you need to upgrade. :goodnight:
3rd - The stainless steel Clipper another good knife for the money.

In conclusion it is true what I've heard said by a few others.

Start with a Mora (a great knife for the money). Look at a few other more expensive knives, buy one, and end up carrying two knives. :rolleyes:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
A short review.

I have given the knife a good 'testing' over the last week.
I compared it against a stainless steel Clipper and a brand new carbon Mora 740.

My choice would be:

1st - The Wolverine a clearly quality knife with an impressively razor sharp edge. It is now my favourite knife.
2nd - The Mora 740, a close second, especially at its low price. The Mora is like an old girlfriend, good while it lasted but sometimes you need to upgrade. :goodnight:
3rd - The stainless steel Clipper another good knife for the money.

In conclusion it is true what I've heard said by a few others.

Start with a Mora (a great knife for the money). Look at a few other more expensive knives, buy one, and end up carrying two knives. :rolleyes:

what sort of tests did you use the wolvey for mate?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE