Puukko Question from Newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Hi

First post - can any one help me?

I have inherited a Finnish Puukko knife from my Great Uncle who was a Whaler in the 1940-1960's.

I have no idea whether the knife is a good one or not and would like some info on it before I decide to use it or buy a new one.

The blade is 3mm thick and 4" long

I think it may be a Karesuando as I can see a faint name on the blade.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have posted this on British Blades as well.

knife01.gif

knife04sig.gif

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I don't know anything about the knife, just curious about the handle.

Is it stacked birch bark?
Can you tell what it's finished with. It looks like it might have been varnished over.
I'm just curious to know what a birch bark handle is like and would like your opinion on it, if it is one.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
wow , far out and freaky :hurra: my dad died a few years back and i never knew he had one until 2 months ago , when i found a knife like your one in a draw, the handle is diferent material ,but the rest looks the same even down to the sig , but i cant quite make it out its a great little tool so i`m gonna give it to my son when he`s old enough, i say use it ,cheers al :-D

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The knife is made in Finland, the sheath is typical finnish (and it´s a finnsih flag on the sheath).
The inscription on the knife can be the signature of the man who made the knife. Check with th guys on British Blades they can probably tell you more.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
its definatly not a Karesuando (which is swedish i think) but it is definatly of finnish origin, not only is the flag on the sheath finnish but the finnish crest is on the handle

it could be very difficult to work out who made this knife as there are a huge number on puukko makers in finnland

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Look at www.ragweedforge.com under finnish knives. You have an older Issaaki Jarvenpaa. These are good knives, I have 3 variations myself. The stacked birch handles are sealed with a clear coat sealer. Ragnar can tell you which one if it needs resealing. I received my first puukko in Alaska. We were towing in a disabled fishing boat and I was struggling with a USAF survival knife to clear a jammed line. The skipper later presented one to me and it became my boat knife. The butt is subtly designed for pushing with the palm of the hand and controlling the knife in a reverse draw grip, using the thumb to control it. Scandi knives lack guards which horrifies many. In the cold,with mittened ( or injured as I learned) hands knives commonly execute draw cuts toward the user. Puukko actually roughly translates to woodcarving, and the larger Lueko blade was a general campknife for heavier duty. here is a swedish website with several photos using your knife. http://home.swipnet.se/lagerelden/mat/index.html you have to key on start, then key on the lower round photo with a knife carving wood( Hantverk) then key on word taljo.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Thanks for all your help guys.

Stew, I don't know much about the handle except that it sits well and balances the blade, will need to give it a proper workout soon.

I would still like to buy a new knife, I like the RM knife but cant afford it :-(
Is there a quality work knife of similar design but with a fully enclosed tang available for under fifty quid?

Cheers

JFW

Sajuma

Dec 19, 2003
Near Geneva
The handle is partly made from birch bark and it is a very good material for knife handles. This puukko has been varnished over because of the signia. It is not the best solution if your hands are wet, it makes it slipery.

Juha

P.s JFW, I would not "fix" it since it has already collector's value. ans it seems that it's already in good shape anyways! :-D

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
You have an older Issaaki Jarvenpaa

I dont think this is an Issaaki Javenpaa, wrong signature maybe a Kankaanpää they both come from the same town/area

Is there a quality work knife of similar design but with a fully enclosed tang available for under fifty quid?

You should have no problem picking up a good quality puukko for under £50 :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE