putting holes into metal stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i know the homemade stove subject has come up before but i am trying to make one myself using some oldtins but i don't know how to get big air vent holes onto them. Has anyone got any ideas about how to do this?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
What size holes do you mean?

Burner size holes I use a drawing pin and a pair of pliers.
If it's a bigger hole can you drill it?
Bigger still can you cut it with a sharp knife?
If it doesn't have to be circular can you use one of the old style can openers that cuts a triangular hole (the sort used before ringpulls)? I saw these for sale in Morrisons the other day for 49p if anyone's looking for one. They're handy for making windshields or little charcoal burners too.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I think you mean a hobo type stove? for burning wood?
I just made one with a small beer keg and used an angle grinder, I actually started to make two but found cutting the rim off the top made it too weak :(
You could try tin snips but would have to use a drill to make a pilot hole, it depends what material you are using.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i suppose i could use a drill, but where do you put the tin while drilling, i've tried a vice but that starts to squash the tin, i can's do it with no support so what can i do?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Either a log in a vice to use like an anvil, side on, you can drill into it so can will keep shape, or try filling with sand it will hold shape until holes become too big and you get sand all over :D but should work for drilling.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I use a stanley knife to put two slits in forming two sides of a triangle, the flap can then be pushed in and bent over, forming a nice sized vent.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I am not exactly sure how big the holes you need are but
Tapered hole cutters
101001_l.jpg

or Stepped cone bits
3PSDS_l.jpg

might help cos they are designed for cutting holes in thin sheet.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
how about hammer and nails of differing sizes and a log to support the sides. as sed before wot u making the stove out of? soz if that sounds sarcastic its not ment to be.
tomhttp://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=113909#
EEK!

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
B&Q sell metal hole cutters, they are a 6mm drill held in an arbor,you screw to this your cutter and drill the hole in one go, the cutters range from 16mm up to around 70mm. :rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
For burner holes use a push-pin, the plastic headed drawing pin type thing, I keep one in my goody box for making a stove out of drinks cans just to show people how easy it can be ;)
For a larger filling/vent hole, repeated scoring with a craft knife (stanley type but not a "snap-off" type for safety reasons) will soon have the piece cut out - or indeed, just cut out shapes with a descent "big" knife.

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-1

Jack, you could try punching a hole in the side and then using an abrafile to cut out the hole that you require.

I must admit on small tins I use a dremmel type tool to cut holes. On the mini burners (meths ones) I use a dremmel for making the holes for the jets normally 0.5mm or so:).

On normal tin cans I have also used scissors once I have made an initial hole in the center of the area I wish to remove and then work from the center out.

M

Millbilly

scanker said:
What size holes do you mean?

Burner size holes I use a drawing pin and a pair of pliers.
If it's a bigger hole can you drill it?
Bigger still can you cut it with a sharp knife?
If it doesn't have to be circular can you use one of the old style can openers that cuts a triangular hole (the sort used before ringpulls)? I saw these for sale in Morrisons the other day for 49p if anyone's looking for one. They're handy for making windshields or little charcoal burners too.

Been looking for one of them for ages, youd be surprised how hard they are to get a hold of. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE