Putting a little 'bushcraft' in your day

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

I'm sure there are a few of us who get out an about in the woods as much as they like, but I suspect the majority - like me - don't and have to put up with real life and all it entails.

However, I try to keep a little 'bushcraft' in each day, whether it's drinking pine needle tea, cooking an outdoors meal for breakfast/lunch (bannock + soup for lunch is a favourite), lighting the (indoor) fire with my firesteel and gathered tinder/kindling, whittling or just making stuff out of paracord.

What do you do? And no, surfing BCUK doesn't count! :D

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
schwuk said:

DOH! :lmao:

I will be testing out a new tent and sleeping bag in the backgarden on friday night so will be building the requisite small fire and may well whittle a stick into a marshmallow fork :D

Otherwise when I take the dog out I am forever track spotting and have a eye out for 'shrooms etc.

Matt.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
schwuk said:

BCUK doesn't count? Poo.

Normally, I try and identify another new plant/tree/animal/bird/fungus when I'm out walking the dog. We tend to stick to only a few different routes at the moment because she's only a puppy but I'm amazed at what there is once you really start to look. I have learnt a huge amount this way.

Also, if I'm doing any gardening, I'll brew up the Kelly Kettle. My missus says I'm daft as there's a kettle in the kitchen but, what the hell...

However, where I am at the moment, there is bugger all and the closest I've been getting to bushcraft is making paracord key-ring fobs and watching Pete Gawleta's DVDs (http://www.birchtreeproductions.co.uk/); I will probably try and write a review on them when I get back to civilisation.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Wayland your photography is stunningly beautiful! Admired your work on numerous occassions.

I dont get out and practice my bushcraft skills as nearly as much as I would like too. This year with a new job & lifestyle I feel its gona be the best year yet for me to get out and have a go!

Recently I started carving my first spoon; I find this can be a great daily break-away from the fast pace of life. So far I have really enjoyed working with the axe, knife & wood. Its been enjoyable to see something slowly develop and make something for myself. Im not finished yet so I dont really know how it'll turn out, if it'll be any good or no, but hey im learning from my experiences already! Im waiting on some sand-paper & a crook knife to turn up, then I'll finish the thing. :) I think this wood-carving stuff is a great little activity that is fairly easy to fit into your day somewhere along the line. Takes your mind off things.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nightwalker said:
Wayland your photography is stunningly beautiful! Admired your work on numerous occassions.

Thank you. It's a bit "urban" this one but apart from walking the dog it's my photography most often gets me out there.

I find you have to really connect with the conditions and the location to get the best results.

I'm always watching the light when I'm out.

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
Its my day off today and I have a stinking cold and dont fancy going down the woods, but I have managed to amuse myself making a alcohol burner from a pepsi can and a billie from a large tin can, boiled a cup of water in 10 - 15 mins and had some damn fine coffee :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels that he doesn't get out as much as he'd like. Between working on my degree and working to pay for it, I'm lucky if I get to do two or three short trips in the summertime. Still, I'd much prefer it if I could "go bushcrafty" much more often.

What do I do to keep the bushcraft God at bay? Uhm...I take walks through the woods, I think about where I want to go in the summertime to practice bushcraft skills and I also make simple tools if I have time. I'm in the process of making a new bowdrill kit as my other one ended up in the fireplace by accident. And yes, knife sharpening DOES count provided that you don't sharpen them down to nothing.

Adam

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I am an Explorer Scout leader that got into Bushcraft through scouting, and as such never get a spare moment to even think about it :)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I try to fit some wood working in each day. My current home is as centrally urban as you can get in the UK though, so Bushcraft per se is pretty tricky. I try to get out in the Kayak when I can though as the River Thames is my 'front garden'

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
Go out on Saturday afternoons foraging mainly fire wood in my local area, try to get the best out local area . Practice fire lingting skills in the back garden.

Ian

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
At the moment I have several leather projects on the go and I am picking up things as I walk, usually bits of wood or some down etc.

Been testing my north star, carving a two piece flat whistle out of a beech pool Q, Practising my fuzz sticks when the whistle doesn't go according...lol...

thats about it i'm afraid.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
tomtom said:
I practice tree id 24/7 and test my friends on it, which they think is highly strange. :)
Hehe I did that to a friend the other day and pointed out a lime tree to him.
He wasn't that fussed :lmao:

Having said that I think I've managed to get a few of my friends curious about
the bean tree in Lewisham which really is just an odd looking thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE