pumpkin gourd water bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
I've made a gourd canteen from an already dried gourd I found in a charity shop. It originally had a very poor painting of a man and a donkey on it which fortunately rubbed off after I'd filled the gourd with water and let it stand for a day or so then rubbed the outside with a green scourer. Getting out the seeds and pith out with a bent coat hanger took a little while but it was removing the last bits of pith that took ages. I used the handful of sharp stones method but had to do it numerous times before I was satisfied that I'd done all I could. Then I lined it with wax. I've only used it as a canteen a few times but I've never got sick afterwards so I must have done something right.

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
I'd advise doing so. I can't imagine it'd be possible to get all the pith out and the walls of the gourd absorb water so between them they'd probably constitute something of a biohazard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE