Psychology in difficult situations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
I was wondering earlier about how I'd cope in a difficult situation outdoors, perhaps a twisted ankle or broken bone, loss of vital kit or clothing, etc. Having never had such an experience I don't know how I'd respond. Anyone would like to think they'd stay composed and focused, but wouldn't know until they'd faced the situation. So thought I'd ask if anyone here has been in a tough or perilous situation in the bush and how did you act, and make it through? Was there any defeatism creeping into your mind, or did you keep your composure?

Randall

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
From experience I know I keep 'cool'.

Not a biggy (not live / death situation or real emergency): years ago, when I was a teen (13-14 years old) I went on holidays to the UK (Clacton on sea :p). On a day we went to London. Summer, and for a change it was hot and sunny. On our way back my dad, who was driving, wasn't feeling well: sun stroke. He got sick / became nauseas and had to throw up. He managed to get the car on the side of the road. As soon as the car stopped I was already out (opened the door and seatbelt in one motion - all on auto pilot, can't remember I did it), got my dad out before the car got dirty ... My shoes did a bit though .... :yikes: Mum was still in a state of "what's happening?" To my dad: "Why are you out of the car?". Made sure dad got some fluids back in and put him in my place at the back, while mum drove back and I was navigating. A scary experience as you lot all drive on the wrong side of the road, that bit of road being pitch black and ever first time in the UK by car!

It was a bit of an out-of-my-body-experience. As if I was being a spectator to the whole scene and could see myself walking and acting.

Later on in life I encountered some more high stress / perilous situations - all went well, as I knew I could handle it / wouldn't freak out / would freeze to the ground.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The most perilous situation I've been in was back in 81.......I had stopped in a small wood just off a B road, looking for a place to put up the tent for the night ( it was about an hour before sundown ), when I happened upon 3 young men about my age (21 at the time) of the gypsy persuasion & whom made no bones about wanting my rucksack.......now I was on the road for the long haul & couldn't afford to loose my kit, (I would have been a tramp with out it)......Fortunatly I wasn't alone, I had a German shepherd with me but that didn't put off the lads from becoming increasingly insistant about acquiring my rucksack & it's contents......there was a brief scuffel & a bit of fisty cuffs that lasted prehaps 10 seconds & thanks mostly to my dog who put up a furious fight, the lads fled off ...........................Well dear readers, I fled too in the opposite direction ( it was the direction I was heading anyway ) & we kept moving all night, sometimes walking fast, other times running( yes even with 20 kgs on my back ) .'cause I had only one fear, that a van load of thugs armed with baseball bats & shotguns would be coming after us...every time I heard or saw a vehicule coming we hid behind hedges, run into fields etc......we covered 20 miles that night & left the county in which we were accosted........once the adrenaline had dissipated & we had rested we continued on our journey as if nothing had happened......Moral of the story ?...I think that if my life depended on my gear then I would risk my life to save it as I'm pretty useless without it.......
I can't say I was super cool but I didn't panic & took the best evasive action I thought neccessary at the time to save our physical integrity :D.......which as it turns out was the right one as not only am I still here to talk about it but I 'm still using the tent that I had way back then...

I've no idea what I would do now in the same or similar situation ......& quite frankly I think it's better not knowing. I've never broken a bone nor have I ever been seriously injured when out in the wilds so again I can't say what my reaction would be. I'm always alone, human wise, so I will in no doubt be up the preverbial creek.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Was out solo rock climbing. Cocked it up and took a fall, about 25-30ft, onto rock. One foot and ankle took the brunt.
Couldn't look at foot for a couple of minutes, dreading what I'd find. When I did look, I could see it was intact, but looking misshapen around the ankle. Pain kicked in a bit and I felt nauseous.
Sat around for a few minutes, then decided to try to make it down to a path, where I might see someone. Had a rucksack with a rigid back, so I used that as a makeship stick to lean on, started down, hopping on my left foot, leaning on rucksack.

Made it down to path and a walker came along. Had a chat, they went down to the Wasdale Head Inn and phone mountain rescue. I worked in the pub and they drank there, when they turned up an hour or two later they didn't half give me a ribbing.

If they hadn't come to get me, I would have got down off the hill, but then I was young and in superb shape.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My only time pf 'peril' was a solo walking trip where I isjudged the distance. Wore myself out, ran out of water, ran out of food, realised I still had 5 miles + to go, largely uphill, into a brutal headwind, in rough country. Then I lost the path as well.

How did I cope. Well, first comes the realisation that you have a problem. If you can do that without panic, you will probably be ok. In this instance I realised that I knew which direction I had to go in, and had a river on my right and a reservoir on my left, so getting lost wasn't possible. Then you work out your resources, i.e. what you can do, not what you can't. I could still walk, even if only 20 steps at a time, and I had plenty of daylight. I also had enough kit to allow me an uncomfortable but survivable night if I really found I couln't go on (note: preparation helps in these situations - I had a map, knew roughly where I was, and had some kit I knew how to use). Finally, you give yourself a goal. I'll walk to that ridge next. I'm going to have a can of coke from the shop when I get back to the village.

And I walked out, reaching the car just after dark, despite exhaustion (I think I fell over every 50 strides) and confusion caused by exhaustion/dehydration (I couldn't add up the few coins needed to buy the can of coke).

Was I calm? I suppose so, but I think preparation and knowing I had a back-up option made it easier for me. In a more immediate crisis (such as assault) it is a lot easier to panic. As for defeatism, no I don't think so, although I kept thinking things along the lines of "Oh hell, I really am in trouble here, aren't I?"

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Broken my arm mountain biking the other year, luckily it was the paralysed one.

IMG_0753.jpg

I strapped it up as best i could, rode home, had a shower (figured it'd be a while till i would be able to have a decent shower with a cast on) called around a few mates asking which hospital would be best, drove to my mates garage, he laughed saying it wasn't broken, to which i wiggled the bone so he could see it sticking out.
Drove to hospital, had it x-ray's, it was broken, was just about to let them operate and fit a plate when the Mrs called and said we should wait to see what the doc that sorted out my arm when it became paralysed said.

Told the hospital doctor to stick a plast on it, went home only to find the doc was on Easter vacation and wouldn't be back till Tuesday (this happened on Thursday) plus we'd all arranged to go away.

So we had a weekend away, got back Tuesday, doc said it was serious, so had to break the bone again and reset it.

Also broke my thumb while mountain biking in Scotland, only trouble was it was a 40 mile off-road ride back to the car, then a 6-8 hour drive home.
Had to cut my best glove off by the end as the hand had swelled THAT bad.

Had me Mum fall over and sprain her ankle on kinder, luckily we found a guy with a Land Rover who kindly drove us back to the car.

Out of civilian life there have been many many things from wrong maps, wrong clothing, wrong areas injured parties etc etc.

Personally i can't think of much that'd stop me getting back home or to my car, but then i'm not really the trusting type so i'd be buggered if i'd sit and wait for someone to rescue me.
I'd sooner crawl on my belly than wait for rescue.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
So thought I'd ask if anyone here has been in a tough or perilous situation in the bush and how did you act, and make it through? Was there any defeatism creeping into your mind, or did you keep your composure?

Ive had a few 'hairy' moments over the years with one thing or another, to answer your question without the thread turning into a story festival as folk spin dits etc.

I'd say for me when something went wrong or the situation became tough I became 150% focused on getting the situation back to normal. Which meant that I was busy doing stuff so there wasn't time for doubt or worry to creep in.

I do think if you have training for a given situation that makes all the difference as well. Often you hear a phrase like ' the training took over' I think that's very true. If you have skills say First Aid and your confident in those skills then folk generally crack on with what they know and have trained for. Or say you get 'lost' out in the woods but have a well developed set of Nav skills then you can draw on those to get you out of the situation.

I also think its important to sit back after the event and talk about it.

HTH

Cheers

John

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Ive had a few 'hairy' moments over the years with one thing or another, to answer your question without the thread turning into a story festival as folk spin dits etc.

I'd say for me when something went wrong or the situation became tough I became 150% focused on getting the situation back to normal. Which meant that I was busy doing stuff so there wasn't time for doubt or worry to creep in.

Same for me, I too won't go into the stories, but in several 'situations' my focus was getting it sorted.
I've got to admit that as a kid and teenager the thought of an operation was horrifying but when I was involved in a solo climbing accident my thoughts were 'get me into theatre and get it sorted' not what I had imagined I would be thinking at all.
I think some of it comes down to your personality, any training you've had and also the situation.
Years ago (before mobile phones were so prevalent), I remember a news story of a farmer severing his arm in a baler, he picked the arm up and walked about a mile or so to get help. I figure that really he had no choice so the situation dictated his course of action.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Based on cbr6's story, my plan is to avoid mountain biking:)

Very very sad fact, but i've lost more mates in cycling crashes than on motorbikes.

Still if you think MTBing is rife with injuries do not look into enduro, it's makes MTBing look like a ladies tea party.
It also helps if you have a modicum of riding skill, something that i'm missing :lmao:

solaris0121

Feb 14, 2012
Hinckley, Leciestershire
years ago in the scouts we did a 24 mile walk around Cannock Chase - There were 5 of us in a group and it was cold and raining - About 2am in the morning I remember the absolute tiredness and confusion - no one really had a clue where we were, but the scary thing is, no one really cared. We were just happy to bumble along laughing and getting lost even further. No one wanted to take responsibility. We eventually flagged a car down after finding a road and we were miles out from where we thought we were. They sent a transit van out to collect us all in the end. It was a steep learning curve and i'd hope i'd remember that in a similar situation 25 years on the need to stop, concentrate and make correct decisions.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It effects me differently depending on the situation. When my eldest was a baby he was dangerously ill with gastro and I was a complete mess. But I once ran over a ladder on the middle lane of the unlit stretch of the M62 it took out the oil sump, and tototalled both alloys on the drivers side - I was doing 80 but I went into autopilot and calmly got it to the safety of the hard shoulder.

The difference being in the first situation I wasn't in control - there was little I could do and I had to rely on others, in the second situation it was all down to me.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I've learned from personal experience that, after the initial shock, I pause, rethink my options and act according to highest needs first.
I also learned that when there are children or animals in immediate danger, I drop my personal guard and do what ever it takes to get them out, without even thinking, even if that means putting my life at risk.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
This isn't Bushcraft but may fall under the heading of 'difficult situations.' In June 2009 I was sailing from Falmouth to Southern Portugal. As I always sail alone the safest course for me is far offshore, this keeps me clear of the International shipping lanes and also the small coastal and inshore fishing traffic.
I was in about 10 degrees West longtitude North-West of Cape Finisterre when I ran into one of those summer sea fogs common off the coast of Galicia. Just before dusk in thick fog and with the sea flat calm I ran into a submerged object which momentarily stopped my 6 ton 32 foot boat dead in the water. I looked astern and just breaking the surface was what looked like a container or extremely large packing crate covered with weed and sea growth.

I checked below for damage and found no water ingress. The boat still steered correctly and there was no vibration indicating that i had a damaged propellor. (Not a breath of wind so on the diesel at the time) I decided to alter course and make land fall in Northern Spain to allow a proper check to be made as I still faced a voyage of many hundreds of miles. I eventually crept carefully into the Port of LaCoruna and into a yacht marina just inside the harbour.
lacorunacopy024.jpg
lacorunacopy005.jpg

I lay in LaCoruna for a few days until the fog lifted and then sailed West out past Cape Finisterre and turned South about a 100 miles offshore and began the long haul down to Cape St Vincent and the Portugese Algarve.
Within 36 hours I was running under reefed jib before a hard Northerly gale, the seas coming from astern and building to an impressive size causing the boat at times to surf down them. In darkness in the early hours, with the vacuum flask once again empty I left the wind steering vane to steer the boat and went to the main hatch, slid it open and removed the wash board and was about to climb down the cabin steps when the boat broached violently to port and fell on her starboard side. I lost my grip on the hatch coaming and fell head first into the cabin hitting the galley stove with my face on the way down. I felt my front teeth shatter and I landed on the cabin sole on my left shoulder causing an excruiating pain in my left side. I rolled onto my back and a big sea crashed down the open hatch and I found myself lying in sea water. I scambled out into the cockpit spitting blood and broken teeth to find the partly reefed jib sail full of sea and holding the boat down on her beam end. I cut the jib sheet and she rolled almost onto an even keel while I held on as another big sea broke on board.

Looking aft my heart sank when I saw the wind vane steering gear moving from side to side, I couldn't believe that the 12mm stainless securing bolts had broken adrift. I wear a head torch at sea at night and this was now round my neck. In the light of the torch I saw the bottom bracket of the steering gear had come adrift leaving just the two top bolts holding it on the stern. I knew then that the earlier collision with the submerged object had caused an undetected problem, I also realised that unless I secured it somehow the big seas would rip it off and probably take part of her stern with it and I would sink in the gale, alone, a 100 miles offshore. I knew that I would have to climb over the stern to secure the steering gear and I admit the thought of doing so in the gale, in massive seas and alone in the dark that the idea was an unpleasant one. But without going into heroics, what do you do? Do you give up and wait to die, or do you switch to survival mode and do all in your power to cling to life? No contest really, is it?

I rigged a short ladder over the stern, tucked the end of a length of rope under my watch strap and climbed over the stern. Almost immediately her bow went down and I found myself clinging to the ladder being lifted far above the sea surface until her stern went down and I was plunged into the sea up to my neck, clinging to the ladder. I don't know if anyone has been submerged in sea water wearing a jacket, jeans and seaboots but just hanging onto the ladder was not easy with the pain in my ribs and unable to breath because my nose and mouth kept filling with blood and seawater. Three or four times I was treated to a sea bath until I finally secured the rope to the steering gear and tumbled back on board.
For the next hour, using the rope I had managed to secure I rigged other ropes round the steering gear and hauled it all taught with the sheet winches. By dawn and with the gale and sea abating but almost exhausted, the job was done and I started the diesel and laid a course for the Portugese coast and safety.
lacorunacopy011.jpg
lacorunacopy012.jpg
Still a bit of a sea running, but life looks good with the dawn and I know I've survived..At least this far..
lacorunacopy015.jpg

The next 16 hours were hard going, I'd been awake for almost 2 days, trouble beathing because of my ribs and face and as soon as I was able I had to file my broken teeth with the finest file I could find in the shambles of the soaking cabin, it was the one on my belt, my Leatherman. The teeth were lacerating my tongue because I had lost the feeling in my face. I crushed rather more than the stated dose of Aspirin and swallowed it with fresh water. Wrapped a crepe bandage around my ribs and the long voyage to safety began.

Desperate to stay awake, unable to sit down because I instantly fell asleep, shouting daft things, anything at all. Old stoppage drills from long ago, nursery rhymes, anything to stay awake until in the late afternoon I anchored in the safe lee of the big breakwater at a small port called Peniche, just North of Lisbon. I took more Aspirin, checked that my anchor was well dug in and fell into my bunk. Fouteen hours later I awoke feeling as if I'd just done three rounds with the whole of 2 Para..

I spent the whole of that day resecuring and setting up my steering gear, between doses of Aspirin, and orange juice with rich tea biscuits soaked in it as that was all I could swallow. I took the oportunity to take a few photos as I worked from my inflatable dinghy.
Sorry about the first one, I'd never make a Dentist..:)..
001-13-1.jpg

lacorunacopy017.jpg
lacorunacopy018.jpg
lacorunacopy019.jpg
lacorunacopy021.jpg

The last photos I hope explain what i was trying to do at night in the gale.

And finally the finished job and then my boat lying safely at anchor days later far to the South.
lacorunacopy023.jpg
Portimaocopy004-1.jpg

So, back to our subject. How you deal with a 'Difficult situation' depends on many things but determination and the resolve not to be beaten or give up features high at the top of the list. I was fortunate because my working life gave me a good grounding on 'keeping going' and later in civvy life many voyages gave me the experience to sort out what needed doing to avoid being lost in the gale. You can read a thousand books on survival, even become a 'survival instructor' (that's worth deciphering) but survival starts between your ears and in your heart. It's surprising what the physical human frame can stand but a weakness in the invisible bit, like your resolve or will power, will definitely kill you.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...West out past Cape Finisterre...a hard Northerly gale, the seas coming from astern and building to an impressive size..."

You win!

I once sat huddled, cold and wet on the shore near Cape Finisterre and watched an industrial size wheely bin flying out to sea, it can be a bit breezy down there. :)

I have experienced two "difficult situation(s) outdoors" both involved serious head injuries, without the help and assistance of the folks who were with me I'd be dead. However in both cases I was quite calm although a little 'out of it' after the second incident.

After the first I remember thinking that it was nice that I was going to die on a nice sunny afternoon, the last thing I can remember hearing before passing out was the sound of curlew calls. Which if it had been my time to die, wasn't such a bad thing to hear as I slipped away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE