proud father moment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Today i looked out my bowdrill set with a mind to A have a little practice and B try out a new bit of kit i aquired recently a.combo flint striker and besring block.
Jake was outside with me playing.
saw what i was doing and asked to have a go.
With some help from Daddy Jake got his first ember using a lime hearth and hazel spindle.(i held the bearing block down and set the pace of the bow)
ok so i helped but he is only 3 1/2 years old.......

So very proud right now.

I kinda feel sorry for his beaver leaders when he is old enough.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D….thing is though, even though you helped, he's been part of the whole thing now, it will make much more sense, he's got a grasp of an idea and he'll build on that :D :cool:

Nice one Sam, and Jake :D

M

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Reminds me of one of the first times my father took me out fishing trout. He caught most of the fish trying to teach me how to do it, but that didn't matter; it was the start of a lifelong fondness of fishing and being out and about.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant stuff.

At three and a half he's probably got more bow drill experience and success than most folk ten times his age. (He's about equal with me if I'm honest). Well done to you both.

Thank you folks.
obviously i want Jake to be interested and passionate about being outdoors but im also keen to make sure that he doesnt end up being pushed into doing what i want for him (saw it with some mates when j was younger their dad was a passionate but standard golfer and they were pushed to play golf one once confided in me he loathed the game).
i figure best way is to do stuff with him around and like today hope his curiosity leads him to ask if he can try it.

Im particularly pleased as up until last year my bowdrill was maybe a 70/30 failure to success rate so its nice ive improved my own skills enough to be able to show Jake how to do it.

Hes a little young for minimal kit camps yet but i reckon by 10yrs old he'll be on top form for em :)

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
I know what you mean man of tanith my boy just lit his first fire in the woods with no matches its a real great feeling.

jpa1

Oct 28, 2013
East Kilbride
hammur.jigsy.com
Great to hear it.

I had been teaching my son (3 year old) how to use a fire steel. My wife called me at work the falling day to report that my son had found a fire steel in our bedroom and was in the process of trying to light a camp fire!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE