Proud Dad.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Just got news from my daughter that she is one of 12, selected from over 300 applicants for a volunteer place in Crete next summer, to spend a couple of months, with a sea turtle charity. This is one of several charity placement schemes that are vetted and supported by her uni Leeds. I couldn't be more proud of my girl. I'll have to sort out some kit for her now, as she will be camping the entire time she is there. :) This is the project. http://www.archelon.gr/eng/habitat_crete.php?row=row3

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks all. Toddy, one of the reasons she thinks she got the placement, is that she is studying photo journalism, and that she intends to keep a blog and document her stay, to try to raise Archelons profile. Course it won't look to bad on her CV either.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You could persuade her to join here too, and post a blog thingie :)
I think it'd be an interesting read, and see, what she does out there with the project.

cheers,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good news here, she sounds like she'll be a very busy girl for a while and you're right to be proud of her :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
That's good news, when I was sailing in the Med in 2011 I met some folk who were working on a Turtle protection scheme. Poor old Turtles are in dire trouble with all the pollution, especially plastic bags in the sea which they eat thinking they're jelly fish. Any help your Daughter can give will be most welcome as the folk I met were struggling against the odds.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant news Colin. Your whole family must be very proud of her, and she should be too. Good charity and turtles are pretty amazing animals. Think Terry Pratchett did a lot of awareness raising for turtle charities; well his fame literally rode on the back of one.
Think a blog on here would be good too, she could show off all the skills her proud Dad has taught her over the years.
Big congratulations from me.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Cheers Colin, I hope I can persuade her to post her blogs up on here. Just been studying the Archelon site, and I think her thoughts and adventure-activities would be an interesting thread here. Would it be in Flora and Fauna, or Out and About. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd probably put it in the out and about but there is a blog section that members can use if she fancies it. Looking forward to it if you can persuade her.
Some of the footage I've seen of turtle hatching at beaches is pretty magical. Only ever seen them in small numbers personally, pretty special feeling. Right up there with otters playing in the water round my legs in the magic stakes, great feeling.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
When we were on a Greek island when turtles were hatching. It was interesting how concerned and protective both visitors and locals were. Watching the tiny turtles struggling across the sand to the sea could be agonising but people were very ready to stop know it alls who wanted to pick them up and put them directly into the water. Apparently they need that struggle across the beach to help develop muscles and lungs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE