Protecting wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Like many others on here, I love my wool clothing. One of its drawbacks however is the difficulty of protecting it from moths. So I thought it would be useful if we all shared tips for keeping our wool protected from the hungry little beasties.

To kick things off, I tend to keep all my stuff wrapped up in zipped bags or other reasonably airtight containers. It works pretty well but it's a pain finding stuff and then putting it back.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Everybody used to keep their wool things in an old pillowcase with a good few Horse Chestnuts in there with them; tied off at the top, and then an oil like Olbas or similar dropped on the cotton; that then went into a blanket box for winter storage.

During the winter I just keep mine on an open shelf with loads of Chestnuts scattered amongst them............I don't seem to get problems with moths, but that may just be luck!

Just remembered, they used to put Cedar shavings in the bottom of the blanket box as well.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Everybody used to keep their wool things in an old pillowcase with a good few Horse Chestnuts in there with them; tied off at the top, and then an oil like Olbas or similar dropped on the cotton; that then went into a blanket box for winter storage.

During the winter I just keep mine on an open shelf with loads of Chestnuts scattered amongst them............I don't seem to get problems with moths, but that may just be luck!

Just remembered, they used to put Cedar shavings in the bottom of the blanket box as well.

Must give the chestnuts a go ... we've loads around us here.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I use Cedar blocks bought them cheap of ebay, I hang a couple from the wardrobe rails and scatter a few in the base. Every now and then I refresh them with Cedar wood essential oil, its quicker for me than sanding the blocks. This year I may try some of those Vacuum type bags so I can free up some space in the wardrobe.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I always thought moth damage was a thing from back in the day, I'd better start paying more attention because all my woollies are just folded up in the wardrobe.

I can remember the sickly smell of my grans wardrobe from the moth balls

keith2616

Dec 16, 2009
Scotland
I've had reasonable success with mothkilling hangers and paper you can hang up in your wardrobe - Rentokill is one brand.
I used both hangers and paper for a belt & braces approach and it worked for the stuff in my wardrobe. For other stuff I
use those big ziplock-style bags with a basic valve on them so you can seal them up then push or vacuum the air out. Also
means your clothes take up less space. As previously mentioned, it is a hassle for things you want to access regularly, but
I have a few woolen things which are too heavy for wear in the warm months so they need to be stored anyway. The bags
mean I can easily stick them all under the bed. I think I got them from Costco for about £15 a few years ago.

I do have moths in my flat from summer through autumn, probably because of having woolen rugs. I kill the little b*&^ers
on sight. When my infestation was at its peak, I was seeing over 10 a day, but last summer it was just 3-4. Fortunately, my
woolen suit/sports jackets in the wardrobe have survived uneaten thanks to the Rentokill hangers/papers. I wish I knew how to
get rid of the eggs properly during the winter, they're resisted my most diligent attempts at genocide.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Interestingly I read an article on this subject a while back. Apparently they are drawn to woollen fabrics that haven't been washed (sweat and grease from the skin can attract them). Also the use of central heating in homes has caused their numbers to rise as they once would have died during cold spells!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't had any problems. I have a couple of wool sweaters over 7 years old. Also a couple of wool suits a bit older.

Back in the day, they used to line the closets with cedar planking (not just for moths, but as an insect repellant in general) I still have my Mom's bedroom suite with a cedar lined chest as well as cedar lined drawers in the bureau.

And I inherited a cedar wardrobe from an Aunt.

I thought Camphor moth balls had been withdrawn due to being toxic / carcinogenic?

In London, never had any problems, but in rural Suffolk they were happily munching away. Seemed to have expensive tastes, as cashmere seemed to be the preferred delicacy!

Wonder if the old Lanolin treatment will also keep them off?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Colibri sachets, and the zip up anti allergy pillowcases to store the woolens in. Those 'breathe' but don't allow insects inside.

I dislike moths with an intensity that borders on panic :sigh:
Colibri is pleasant to have around, unlike naptha in mothballs, and the pillowslips are the best thing since sliced bread :)
Willie's right too about freezing stuff if you have room.

Links;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-PILLOW-...droom_Bedding_PP&hash=item486080e69e#shpCntId

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Colibri-Nat...id=1390922675&sr=8-3&keywords=colibri+sachets

atb,
Mary

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I thought Camphor moth balls had been withdrawn due to being toxic / carcinogenic?

In London, never had any problems, but in rural Suffolk they were happily munching away. Seemed to have expensive tastes, as cashmere seemed to be the preferred delicacy!

Wonder if the old Lanolin treatment will also keep them off?

Lanolin is what they eat mate, that is what they are after ( also greese, sweat..)
You are right about the Camphor balls btw.

Best.

Chris.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those Colibri sachets look good, and at that price I'm going to try them for wool suits and a few other things that really need to hang; thanks for the linky :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I wonder, for those of us who don't have cedar furniture at their disposal, whether a bottle of cedar wood essential oil mixed with a carrier oil and sprayed sparingly onto hanging clothing might be effective?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wonder, for those of us who don't have cedar furniture at their disposal, whether a bottle of cedar wood essential oil mixed with a carrier oil and sprayed sparingly onto hanging clothing might be effective?

Maybe. Or maybe even just a small sack of cedar chips (shavings) from the pet shop? The sort they stock for pet bedding.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I didn't know about their aversion to horse chestnuts, thanks for that.

Most of my wool clothes are for the cold months, so they are cleaned and wrapped in plastic bags for the warm months.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE