Protecting wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I wonder, for those of us who don't have cedar furniture at their disposal, whether a bottle of cedar wood essential oil mixed with a carrier oil and sprayed sparingly onto hanging clothing might be effective?

Handbook of pest control, pg. 222
Billings (1934), and other workers showed that paradichlorobenzene, naphthalene, and the cedar oils do not repel the moths from laying eggs, nor the larvae from feeding on articles in the presence of these materials. Billings concluded that these materials have no repellent action, but they do have a slight fumigation value. Since the worth of these materials rests on the fumigation effect when in heavy concentrations, it is essential that these insecticides be enclosed in containers that are almost airtight. Trunks, satchels, chests, etc., when sealed from the outside are effective when used with these fumigants. Such containers which retain high concentrations of the gases emanating from these fumigants, may keep the larvae from feeding, and death may finally result through starvation.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Thanks from me too Martti for that info, and thanks too treadlightly for reminding me to get some sealed bags. I a also want to fit some some bat boxes, I will have to get permission from the landlord though. It might help keep the moth numbers down, if not a couple of bats have digs and I will have some entertainment watching them.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Well I got some of the vacuum poly bag things three weeks ago from babz of ebay 3 of the 50cm x 70cm for £3.25 delivered. For the price I am very impressed even if they only last a year.

In one I managed to fit:

1 M39 Swedish army tunic
1 Dutch army helly hansen fleece
6 pairs of Russian army socks
2 pairs of Swedish army wool mitts
1 Swedish army scarf
1 French army wool headover

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-VAC...594476?pt=UK_Storage&var=&hash=item485b312bec

And now have some space in my wardrobe too, which I am pleased about. One of those things I wished I would have used years ago.:) No connection to seller etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE