Old Tools and the Ghosts of Craftsmen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have a thing about re-using or "restoring" old tools at the moment.

I recently bought a really excellent old Spear and Jackson shovel, along with a general purpose garden fork, and my latest acquisition is an old billhook given to me. Both the shovel and fork have the "traditional" kind of wooden handle like this:

H9GNV.jpg

The billhook is equally old and is a bit manky right now but still a sound tool. I have a "before" pic I took last night prior to beginning to gently clean it. I was initially going to do a major cleanup, de-rusting the hook, sanding and varnishing the handle and then of course putting the edge back, but then I reconsidered. The reasons I like old tools are twofold:

1. They are usually of very good quality

2. They carry their life story with every nick, mark and woodworm hole, along with the touch of the last man to use them.

My plan now is to do the minimum to the billhook; all I will do is oil the handle after cleaning it with water, de-rust the blade surface and then put an edge on it. I like to imagine that the previous owners would be in favour.

Am I weird or do any others of you like old tools and kit?

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nothing better than finding an old gem somewhere and breathing new life into it for future generations to use. I've had a few finds and using something I've restored myself sure beats going out and buying a new inferior product!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We're still using tools that belonged to our grandfathers :) and Son1 casts covetous eyes over some of his great uncle's tool shed too :)

I can't imagine *not* having good tools, and ones that have been recovered and restored can be very, very good finds indeed :)

Old Tools, and what do you do with them ? There's a good thread. From how to restore to how to use.

cheers,
Toddy

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Just to finish the story of my billhook, here are the before and after shots of my very light clean up.

Before: Rusty, unused and unloved.

0oeSD.jpg

After: Cleaned, handle oiled, blade sharpened and oiled, ready to be used anew.

j1StY.jpg

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i love old tools, i picked up an old Brades drawknife this week for not a lot of pennies (below), gave it a good clean up and a sharpen and now's it's ready for work, i have a couple of other draw knives, one is an old Marples, it has mismatched handles and a blacksmiths weld that was done decades ago, but it's one of my favourite tools

DSCN1354grgr.jpg

Im very lucky, as just up the road from home is a warehouse that does nothing but old tools, some are over priced, but you can also get some superb bargains in there, and talking of Old tools i got a late 1920's early 30's Frister & Rossman hand cranked sewing machine, or as the original users manual that's in the case says "Model E Vibrating Shuttle machine" in perfect working condition this afternoon on Freecycle that is going to see a lot of use with some groups i work with, it even had the spare feet, original needles still in the original packet, tools and load of spare bobbins as well.

Yep, i love old tools, cant be beaten in my book

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's a place not a million miles away from me that sells old tools and niknaks. much of its from farm sales and house clearances so they get paid for removing it and then make money selling it onto punters like me.
Consequently its pretty cheap at my end.
I go there a couple of times a month and as a lot of the stuff is from house clearances I assume I have quite a lot of dead man's tools in my possession. They have serves someone else well and I want them to have a good home where they get used and looked after.
Recently I bought an old hammer (by its head design I'm guessing its 50 years old and its got the name J.J. Williamson engraved into it. I'm leaving that written on it as a record of how its served its previous owner.
Here it is on the left, next to the newer design head version on the right.
DSC00511.jpg

Then there's the two speed Metabo brace drill I got there.
IMG_1878.jpg

The old oil can.
DSC00256.jpg

The A.J Wilkinson & Co folding drawknife (patented in 1895 bought at another tool sale.
IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg
The Enox tool box.
Old Eclipse hacksaws, British made pliers, Reed Mfg (US made) 3-4" micrometer, Garringtons British made adjustable spanner, Record and a Woden (manufacturer, not the stuff its made of) quick release woodworkers vice..
I could go on but it would get boring for you lot.

Instead of buying new Chinese made items I buy old (most commonly British made) but good quality tools that have already served a lifetime for someone else. Oh and usually at a quarter of the cost.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Old tools are window into the past of the little island. Every time you use an old tool, you're adding to its already rich and varied past. Some tools have been abused, and a little care and attention will bring you years of good service and the likelihood that it will serve many more folks long after you've bitten the dust.

My pride an joy is this;

It's my 4cwt Peter Wright. Forged by no less than four men in around 1910, and used by a smith up on the Wirral. You can see that he must've made a few chisels in his time by the condition of the waist and feet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE